Spindle play

Hopefully you have a stable situation now -- but, not knowing the exact cause, it could very well come back. In the meantime, make some stuff :)

Well, don`t know what to say. It sort of fixed itself. Went out to tear it apart. For the sixth time I think. Thought I`d take some pics for you. Took the gearbox of the tower and loosened the nut on the top. Then I felt the spindle was ok
Just a little play, turned it and the play was gone. Couldn`t understand. Put the gearbox, I call it that because the it`s part of the gearbox but also holds the spindle back and the spacer on top and the nut. A very small amount of play was back. Tightened the nu a little. Less play. Tightened it a bit more. Gone. By this I have to deduce that it was a matter of tighteni g the nut just right but I don`t know. Have had it apart so many times now that I think I would have hit sweet spot a least one of those times. Waht else could it be? We`ll see if it holds. Put up a few pics; top bearing, bottom bearing and inside the gearbox.

Could be one of the pieces was not quite square on the shaft and with all the moving about it finally settled into place and allowed the proper loading with the nut.
Pierre

I think its gremlins, I once struggled for 3 hours getting a gearbox to align into the clutch on my car to no avail.
After much swearing and cussing I stopped for a cup of tea. When I went back it was perfectly aligned.
I think they got fed up waiting and left so it all worked as it should. :laughing:

Been there. Sometimes doing nothing and taking a break is the right thing to do.
Pierre

Went out and did some milling after work today. The play is back. But I couldn`t see any bad results on the surface. Not that that means that it`s good considering my level of knowledge. Beginning to think one of the bearings has been damaged in the process of pressing them in and out so many times. I`ll go with this and replace them with new ones further on. Then I`ll make a series of pics showing what and how I do it.

Back