Spindle Speeds

rotormotored

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
I am a bit confused about the "Spindle Speeds" on page 23 of "How to Run a Lathe".
I have a 2-step pulley so that collum has an astrik next to another set of numbers.
But then doesn't that mean that that would indicate High and Low speed for each step on the cone pulley.
Why are there two different stes of high and low spindle speeds?
What controls High and Low speeds?
Ed

DSC01734.JPG DSC01735.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I found those designations a little confusing as well. What I think I have figured out on them is that the lathes were available with an additional pulley on the drive system to give the lathe it's "high" speed. I found this information in an old circular...

So each lathe would have the "low" or standard speed and the optional "high" speed. The double sets of high and low are due to the two speed motor option.

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Thanks ScrapMetal,
I'm thinking that it would probably be nice to know exactly what speeds that spindle is spinning.
Some kind of speed sensing device may be in order ...any recomendations anyone?
Ed

knudsen link=topic=2502.msg17218#msg17218 date=1308853701 said:
rotormotored link=topic=2502.msg17115#msg17115 date=1308805630 said:
Thanks ScrapMetal,
I'm thinking that it would probably be nice to know exactly what speeds that spindle is spinning.
Some kind of speed sensing device may be in order ...any recomendations anyone?
Ed

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning to use a digital bicycle spedo/odo that has an RPM function. I think they are about $15 or $20.
That's a good idea and relativley inexpensive also.
I have one on my bike but I don't think it has an RPM function just the usual speed in M.P.H., Trip Dist., Trip Time, Avg. Speed and Odometer, etc. So you're right you'd need to find one with an R.P.M. function.
I think the next problem to slove would be to mount it and it would nice if it were wireless but that would add a few bucks to the price.

I have an idea, .... I'll see if it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of like the looks of the MachTach kit. I'm kind of in to electronics and putting together circuits though. ;)

-Ron

If I remember right on my Monarch I marked the motor pulley and the chuck. Turned the motor by hand and counted the chuck rotation in all four gears, also in back gear. Then used the figure at 1750 rpm to calculate each gears speed at the chuck.

Back