Splines for a motorcycle shift leaver

wrightmachining

Registered
Registered
So this project all started with a friend bringing in a motorcycle shift fork that had the end all biggered up . Apperently some of these 50 year old bikes you cant get parts for anymore. This was the model of bike he had driven in years ago and was full of memories for him. View attachment 429465

The fire step was to machine down the old worn out spline and not any further than nessisary . It was sligtly bent but only to be expected . Out .005 i just machined it anyhow bringing it back to zero. Then the blank .as machined up and was made to have .005 heat shrink fit. View attachment 429466

It was brought uo to temp and pressed on via the tail stock . Then everything was flupped around and cut of amd machined to knurling size.

I cheated a little here and it was just copyed off a semi good part . Durring the knurling phase it aas a little to big and double knurling occured . I desided to keep goining and it changed the dementions eventualy after the 2 pass and it started tracking and building a nice knurl

This however created chips that where cleaned off with scotch bright amd oil was used to wash the whole thing down .

Then simply the round was cut for the cemter of the bolt and presto . The part was back in service a week later . View attachment 429467

If you dont like reading and wamt to watch a video , here is the link :) enjoy

Nice work! Some old Harleys had those splined shifters. We use to fix them by hammering an old piece of lead down flat and working it into the best splines left. Open up the shifter to work over all that and tighten it down. But I'd much rather have your fix.

Nice work! Some old Harleys had those splined shifters. We use to fix them by hammering an old piece of lead down flat and working it into the best splines left. Open up the shifter to work over all that and tighten it down. But I'd much rather have your fix.
Thank you . Lead would be a quick fix. The dirty dirt bikers from rural Canada would weld them on and hope they didn't have to fix the bike later :) not quite the Harley way though

Back