[4]

Square 1 in 3D printing: Which CAD / CAM / Slicer are you using?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

gr8legs

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I recently (a week ago) ordered a PRUSA 3D printer kit with the understanding that delivery was 6 or 7 weeks out.

I figured I'd use the time to research which design software to use to drive it.

Best laid plans gone awry, the printer kit arrived Friday and I am now way behind in my research.

I use Visual CADD for 2D but it does not have 3D capability. I have Dolphin CAD/CAM to drive the mill but no post-processor for a 3D printer, hence my arrival at Square One for 3D Printing.

What do you all use - and why?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

Hawkeye

Active User
I'm at about the same point in the 3D process. I downloaded SketchUp for the CAD. I got Repetier-Host with the printer. You can download a plug-in for SketchUp to allow exporting .stl files. Repetier will take in the .stl files and tell you if they are "manifold" or "non-manifold". When you sort out the things that make them non-manifold, you can run the slicer portion in Repetier and save the gcode file and save a version that will run directly from an SD card. This will mean you don't have to tie up your computer during the long printing times.

cs900

maker of chips
well are you looking to do 3d modeling of just make code for the printer? I wouldn't say there's a program out there that does both really well. Fusion360 for real CAD/CAM, and then I suggest simplify3D for a slicer. I know it's not free like Octoprint, cura, or repetier, but the functionality of it is fantastic. You can customize the print as much or as little as you like and I still thing the support features are the best. You can also set-up custom configured settings for each material that you can save and recall at any time, much like setting up a tool library in CAM. and of course it also acts as a machine controller so you can generate the g-code as well as drip it to the printer all in one piece of software.

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
For slicing, Cura works pretty well for me most of the time. I also have good luck with Simplify3D, though that one is commercial. It has a lot more settings and options, which is nice for some work.

For design work, I mostly use OnShape. It's an online, browser based tool that is free for personal use with the downside that everything is public. I also do a little with OpenSCAD, however, even as a programmer I find it somewhat difficult to work with at times.

magicniner

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I already have BobCAD/CAM V25 for my CNC mill so I use BobCAD for building model solids, for anything complex I use Blender to handle the Booleans as it handles meshes better than most things.
I use a pre-Autodesk version of NetFabb (still legitimately available if you search for it) to tidy up solids and the current version of Cura for slicing.

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I am _trying_ to learn Fusion 360, but find it painful and very UN-intuitive.
Even after watching a pile of you-tube videos, I have projects that I can't figure out how to even start!

I like that's it's free for home use, I _HATE_ that it's web-based and such a learning hurdle.

-brino

Hozzie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Fusion 360 and Simplify3D for me.

jbolt

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Solidworks and Simplify3D. I tried Cura first but I find Simplify3D easier to tune for different filaments.

Someone posted on the CAD forum that if you join the EAA for $40 a year you can get an educational licence for Solidworks.

[6]
[5] [7]