• June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Square 5c collet orientation

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

cg285

before i buy a couple square 5c collets does anyone know how the square would orient in a collet block? in other words i need the square hole to be square with the collet block

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Depends how accurate it needs to be , fast way put stock in it use a parallel on flat surface to square it up,
Accurate slow way indicate it with a dti.

cg285

Depends how accurate it needs to be , fast way put stock in it use a parallel on flat surface to square it up,
Accurate slow way indicate it with a dti.
the collet has an alignment groove so it can only go in one way

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Well I guess it depends where the groove is and how accurately the pin fits and placed , I think that is to keep the collet from spinning , should be removable.

cg285

Well I guess it depends where the groove is and how accurately the pin fits and placed , I think that is to keep the collet from spinning , should be removable.
yep, hence the question :)
i don't want to remove it. i am hoping it will orientate square to the block

kd4gij

Active User
Not sure why putting square stock in a square collet block. But if the key doesn't line it up right just remove the setscrew and line it up.

cg285

Not sure why putting square stock in a square collet block. But if the key doesn't line it up right just remove the setscrew and line it up.
i know but then it gets in to a government job. i want to do repeat work. looking for someone who has possession of both a square 5c collet and block

Jimsehr

Active User
Where are you going to get a 1 inch 5c sq collet ? When I needed one I made it on the mill . And it only held the 1 inch sq stock in the milled part that sticks out of the spindle as 1 inch sq is to big to go thru a 5c collet.

cg285

Where are you going to get a 1 inch 5c sq collet ? When I needed one I made it on the mill . And it only held the 1 inch sq stock in the milled part that sticks out of the spindle as 1 inch sq is to big to go thru a 5c collet.
where did a 1 inch square collet come from? i'm confused
did i miss type something?

Silverbullet

You can get collets at least 5C in all kinds of shapes , rectangular, square , hex , and oval . With emergency collets you can mill any shape on your own. Even oversized diameter. Thank the Hardinage companies for many great products.

extropic

Active User
I have about a dozen 5C square collets, various brands, US and German made.
I never thought about the orientation of the square relative to the pin groove before. however, I just looked at them and all the pin grooves appear to be nominally perpendicular to a flat of the square. I didn't indicate any.
So, the issue goes back to accuracy required.

Please show/explain what your're trying to do so we can learn something too.

magicniner

Brass
Registered Member
Good collet blocks can be bolted down to a plate so you could also bolt an alignment reference of your own making to a decent collet block, combine this with a round collet block and the world is your oyster.

cg285

Good collet blocks can be bolted down to a plate so you could also bolt an alignment reference of your own making to a decent collet block, combine this with a round collet block and the world is your oyster.
for this particular porpoise my collet block goes into another fixture with an alignment reference built in. it just needed the work square with the collet block and with easy repeatability as i am impatient

magicniner

Brass
Registered Member
for this particular porpoise my collet block goes into another fixture with an alignment reference built in. it just needed the work square with the collet block and with easy repeatability as i am impatient
I'm not a fan of LOL but it does seem appropriate here, you're just asking for the answer you want :D

cg285

I'm not a fan of LOL but it does seem appropriate here, you're just asking for the answer you want :D
nope, i only wanted to verify that it would work in my situation without having to make/modify one

hman

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Just 2 cents's worth more here ... the alignment pin in a collet block will have a certain amount of clearance with respect to the groove in the collet. So it may not be suitable for precision angular alignment. In other words, even though aligned to a certain feature of the collet, it may have a degree or so of slop.

[6]
[5] [7]