Square eyelets ?? Why?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Mundane I know, but darned if I can Google an explanation.
One can get blackout roller blinds, all colours and sizes.
Also advertised are the same blinds with a row of square metal-edged eyelets along the bottom.
They don't seem to be for to "hook on" to anything. All I can think is they are there so one can tell when night has arrived?
See the picture. Why are they there?

square eylets blinds.jpg

Yeah - I know! I am just a bit countrified. This decor/fashion feature must have passed me by!

I have no idea why there's a need for eyelets, it could have been a manufacturing failure passed on as new design.

I have no idea why there's a need for eyelets, it could have been a manufacturing failure passed on as new design.
That does not run for me! I know about turning a manufacture fumble into an opportunity. I've done it!
Carefully spaced square metal eyelets made with an arbor press swaged process is not a reworked manufacture failure.

It is surprisingly tricky to order online and end up with the stuff you want. One has to study the wording. If eBay, if the word "replacement" is present, you may only be getting the fabric part, without the rest of the mechanism.

They are the one company to not lean the lesson of the de Havilland Commet.

"Design and construction flaws, including improper riveting and dangerous concentrations of stress around some of the square windows, were ultimately identified. As a result, the Comet was extensively redesigned, with oval windows, structural reinforcements and other changes. Rival manufacturers meanwhile heeded the lessons learned from the Comet while developing their own aircraft."

First paragraph from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet

We used to do machine work for some interior decorators who neither understood process nor cost. They had a dining table and chair set built that required a forklift to move. In the end we began requiring payment in full in advance.

Back