Squareness comparator from a 1-2-3 block

jeremysf

Registered
Registered
I finally got around to making myself a “bumper style” squareness comparator.

I machined it out of a piece of 4140 round bar (it’s the only tool steel I had lying around). First step was to machine the round bar into a rectangular prism.

f63e035967297dc7204d93d641161816.jpg

Once squared up in the mill, I ground the faces on the surface grinder, and proceeded to mill away material to create the the “L” shape. I drilled, chamfered and tapped two holes for 1/4-20 threads to attach to the 2”
face of a 1-2-3 block.

I machined the radius on my small rotary table, taking a cue from Stefan’s video where he uses a gage block against a pin in the center of the rotary table to set the radius distance. I machined the radius and added a very generous chamfer to the top edge. Then a thorough debur pass and the machining work was done!

88d2ea43d789bd5947ea22612a4c3574.jpg

The bumper is shorter than the 1” face, so I used a 0.005” gage block on the surface plate to set the offset (so the bumper floats above the surface plate) and bolted the bumper on to the 1-2-3 block with some 3.25” 1/4-20 bolts. I completed the comparator with a Noga magnetic indicator stand and a 0.00005” DTI.

569cc1c73f41dfe99e1602de81fe75b5.jpg

It works super nice! Previously, I was checking squareness with steel Starrett try squares, a number 3020 for kicking around the shop and a number 20 for “special occasions”.

For those that aren’t familiar with these types of squareness comparators, you butt the bumper against a known square object, adjust the indicator to also touch and rotate back and forth looking for the high spot on the indicator. After zeroing out the indicator on the high spot, you repeat the process on the part to test, and the high spot found there indicates the relative squareness of the part.

Testing random stuff lying on the bench and I’m kind of amazed that I had got this Windy Hill Foundry casting machined square to within 0.0002”! I guess my mill tram jobs aren’t total trash after all, lols.

8da15e3425cd3db8635a39f18d005293.jpg

Testing another project in progress and…not so square. I’m pretty sure the culprit is not deburring well enough before putting it on the surface grinder. Yikes.

486267fc0fdac68cb565fa21c77f89e9.jpg

I’m pretty excited about to have this comparator, since I can grind in shims to fix squareness and using this tool, now I know just how much to grind!

Very satisfying afternoon project!

Last edited:
Nice! I have seen that done before, but the rod on my surface gage does not have a ball at the end, just a straight cylinder. I did think about machining a new rod, but decided on this approach instead.

What I am seriously jealous of is Stefan G’s custom base and stand, for both its rigidity and precision fine adjust. My setup is juuuuust a bit shaky/fiddly

A good squareness comparator is a must have on the surface plate. Here’s my take on it. Cast iron base with shaper finish on top. Linear bearing shaft. An old short travel tenths indicator. Nice project works fantastic 63ACAC7F-3BB5-4D92-B704-6296F62A9B35.jpeg

A good squareness comparator is a must have on the surface plate. Here’s my take on it. Cast iron base with shaper finish on top. Linear bearing shaft. An old short travel tenths indicator. Nice project works fantastic View attachment 420708

I just picked up 3 tenths indicators today. You have given me inspiration for my next project.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Fantastic!! Best of luck. Also check out Tom Lipton of Ox Tools. He has some great ideas on his version of the Taft-Pierce tool.

Scrounging around. I found some material to make one. It will be made from Aluminum for base and holder. 5/8” shaft stock and a 1/2” tooling ball.

I drew up a basic design
1625459c35c1f446a23db7897cde46cb.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

The second dial indicator mount is a nice add too. I’ve been thinking of making one so I can use it as a height gage, but I found a proper electric gage head and amplifier with a height gage recently at auction so that project probably won’t happen.

T white, I would strongly suggest cast iron or steel for the base unless you inset 3 points of ball bearings and surface grind them flat. Aluminum will wear rapidly on the granite. The weight of the iron base is helpful during use too making it more stable.

Back