Squaring a large block without a vise

Shawn_Laughlin

Registered
Registered
I’m attempting to square a large steel block that I flame cut from a much bigger chunk of steel and I’ve got two sides pretty much perfectly parallel but securing the block square for my 3rd side is somewhat a pain in the a$$ or just plane out is a pita.
The block is 7-1/2” x 5-3/4” x 4-3/4”. So it’s not massive but I’m sure most machinist would say its pushing the limitations of this small mill. I would agree but limitations slimitations I don’t go by no stinking limitations. If so we would’ve never walked on the moon or at least say we did? A good little apollo 11 anniversary joke. lol

I was going to buy a Kurt vise but quickly realized I would have to raise the mill to high and would really mess with the rigidity of machine and y travel would be effect also unless I hung a section too far off the vise.
So,I decided to make a fixture plate,so I did, and it came out better than I imagined it would. Perfectly flat x and y by checking with my dti.

Here’s what I want to do and y’all tell me if It’s it sounds plausible? I want to secure a angle plate to the fixture plate and secure the faced side of block to the angle plate with some kind of force being applied. I think I have the force being applied problem figured out but it’s to much to try to put into words, or maybe it’s not but a picture will be much easier to understand, and I’ve been known to be hard to follow. Language arts was never my strong point. lol. I’ll take a pic in about an hour and upload it. Now will an an angle plate be sufficient if I use it like it’s a fixed vise jaw if I don’t bear down on the clamping force and take extremely light cuts? I’ll get the pics up at lunch but here is a picture of the block.

This is the block I bought from scrap yard 481 pounds. It was fun moving this thing around by myself in the bed of my truck and when trying to set up to cut it. Went through 3 bandsaw blades, the companies not mine, until I said hell with it i can cut with a torch as good and square as this bandsaw.
AFC3B2EB-8FAB-46E0-87A2-9D91ABAED8EF.jpeg

This is what I’m thinking of using for the clamping force. When tightened down against the two 60 degree cuts,I think,it will get wider putting pressure on the block and angle plate.
031F9166-A23D-48D8-8C9F-3E8C06F32992.jpeg

And this is the most I’ve got done. Not bad for a mini midget mill drill on steel. I think anyways. Oh yeah that contraption holding the block on mill,well it helped me break 5 solid carbide 1/2 and 5/8 sgs end mills bc the vibrations would cause the block to come loose. But I think I got that figured out with the stiffening/rigidity mods.
A0357E5B-D933-4EB5-8172-F2CEA2ECBEE6.jpeg

Way off subject but I am so proud of these chips I’ve been waiting to show them off. It’s almost like your first child being brought into the world,when you finally start breaking chips like these babies!
5FCE35F7-5668-4344-BBFB-D908713F4E6D.jpeg

Last edited:
That's one big piece of steel- anchor for a big-top tent line?

Is it still mounted on the mill?
If it is I would side mill a short distance down on all 4 sides enough to clean up, this will give you a square reference to the already machined faces. Now you have something to indicate in for keeping the next faces square.

Is your lathe big enough to swing the part in a 4jaw?

Illinoyance I see what your getting at and I’m not sure but had already been wondering if it would handle the weight bc I’m going to need to make a hole through it to clear a shaft and the mill is worthless for that bc of spindle travel. Facing it in the lathe would be the best way I just need to find out how much weight I can hang off the chuck. It an 8” so it should be plenty big enough. That’s a platinum level suggestion,thank you.

If the lathe will not handle it you might want to invest in an angle plate. Then you could finish the job in the mill.

That is a very good justification to obtain a shaper. Could you drill at least a pilot hole on the mill progressing from a standard bit to a long reach to an extra long? That would make drilling from each side easy then ream to size.
Your angle plate idea should work and Flyinfool has pointed out that it could then be indicated level.

Nortondommi that’s actually the only choice I have if I do it with the milk and might be the I go. I guess I’ll decide when I get to that point and figure which is easier on this machine.

Does anyone know the max unsupported weight that a g4003g lathe spindle can handle? I would imagine the cutting forces far outweigh the weight hanging off but been wrong before? Grizzly doesn’t list a spec on that or at least I can’t find anything on it. I did read a guy with a Logan 10” 500lb lathe had a spindle nose limit 4 tons I believe but not sure what that means bc there’s no way your hanging 4?tons off a chuck that small unless it’s referring to cutting loads?

Back