Squeal from handwheel of mini-mill

prasad

Active User
Registered
I have an irritating noise from one of the handwheels (longitudinal - right left movement) of my mini-mill. I get a loud squealing high pitched noise when I turn the hand wheel that moves the table right to left or the other way. It happens at almost any speed. I have tried lubrication all over and that did not help. It happens even when the spindle is off and I am only moving the table. I have to be extremely careful to avoid the noise. My cuts are always very small and I have not faced any issue but the noise drives me nuts. :angry:

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

I used to get that on my LMS on the Y axis. I made an adjustment to the lead screw to reduce the backlash and that took care of it. It was very irritating, and even embarrassing when someone was nearby.

One of the first rules of being a machinist is "Always investigate a squeak". And,you have more than a squeak. It means metal is getting worn out rapidly. Hopefully adjusting the backlash as suggested will solve the problem.

I used to get that on my LMS on the Y axis. I made an adjustment to the lead screw to reduce the backlash and that took care of it. It was very irritating, and even embarrassing when someone was nearby.

Thanks. I tried the manual from Grizzly and could not find a way to adjust the backlash. Then I opened the hand wheel, went right into the two thrust bearings. I have re-lubed them. There is a change in behavior. I am able to spin the knob a lot faster now. If I exceed a certain speed level the noise is back. Got to work on it. From the looks the two bearings look crappy. I may have to change them to better make.

Thanks
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

I am able to spin the knob a lot faster now. If I exceed a certain speed level the noise is back.
Is the noise coming from the spinner on the handle, or from the hand wheel?

Cheers Phil

Is the noise coming from the spinner on the handle, or from the hand wheel?

Cheers Phil

Phil

I may have located the noise source. I think it was coming from the two thrust (ball) bearings. In addition to this thread I also phoned Grizzly and they asked me to open and inspect the bearings. I did that and noticed they both had score marks where the balls make contact. I lubed them liberally with thick oil and tried it again. Noise has come down. I have to rotate the spinners at much higher speed to get that noise. I noted the bearings are of very poor quality.

I phoned Grizzly back and told them my findings. They are sending me two new bearings. I hope they are better in quality. I will know in a few days. Someday I may decide to buy real quality bearings and replace them entirely.

Thanks
Prasad

Got the same thing happening on my HF minimill Y axis. To my ear, it sounds like a poor fit (loose) between the shaft and a crappy sleeve bearing. Guess I get to go hunting. No doubt while I'm in there I'll feel the need to minimize backlash. And then I'll have to look into the X. It just goes on and on, doesn't it?:dunno:

Tom

Time to pull up the table for a clean and lube. Front to back there is no bearing.... But I am changing that short coming. I saw someone else do that but I am not a fan of the way it was done.

it comes and goes....goes right after i lube everything

Back