• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

S's Vs H,k's Kearney Trecker Models

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

glenbjackson

Steel
Registered Member
I'm not sure if I'm calling these out proper... But I'm wondering which were stronger, had better craftsmanship and can find replacement parts for the easier? The S models, the boxey futuristic looking machines or the H, K, etc fat round old school ones? I have my eye on a sa205 and has change gears for the universal head but no head for 1700. Seems high. But it's local so that's a big plus. But biggest concern is the boxey ones don't seen too common so I'm thinking were they a shift in design that didn't work out? Or was it just around the time they closed shop? I have a 2hl and I love It's design but should I stay looking for a big brother 3çh or go with a S model everything else being the same (price, location and size....)

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
All of the K&T models are well respected. The S series are the newer ones, H are older ones. I think K models are older yet. The newer ones will have better parts support, but the prices may still put them out of reach. The main thing is to find a machine in undamaged and well cared for condition. With careful use and proper maintenance, they can go for many decades without needing any parts replaced.

Bob Korves

They hydraulics of any machine can be a problem if not maintained well. The good news is that most of it is straightforward repair work if there is a problem. Diagnosing problems requires knowledge and deductive reasoning. I do not own and have never operated a K & T machine, but from everything I hear they are all fine machines, at least as good as anything else out there. Any of them can also be scrap metal after decades of use and abuse... $1700 is dirt cheap for a later model K & T mill -- if it is in decent shape... Abom79 on YouTube (Adam Booth) bought a 307 s-12 (?) and had to do some work on the hydraulics. He made a series of videos on the repairs.

[6]
[5] [7]