Stablize your Swag press brake and stiffen your Harbor Freight Press

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I recently acquired a Swag 20 ton press brake for my Harbor Freight 20 ton press. I didn't like the way the brake moved around on the press table. I decided to make some reinforcement tabs for the lower section of the brake out of 1/2" x 1" cold roll bar, weld them to the brake, and bolt them to the press frame.

As a result, the brake is held firmly in place, and the whole frame of the press has been stiffened by having a solid connection across its center. Removing the brake for regular press work involves simply removing two 3/8" bolts.

The tabs supplied with Swag kits will work also, and some people just clamp them to the frame, using spacers if necessary. I preferred to eliminate any spacers and bolt them to the frame.

Attachments

• Harbor Freight 20 ton pressJPG.jpg
    Harbor Freight 20 ton pressJPG.jpg
    859.7 KB · Views: 585
  • Swag stablizer.JPG
    Swag stablizer.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 363
  • Swag finger brake.JPG
    Swag finger brake.JPG
    553.6 KB · Views: 365
I like your upgrades. I attached a photo of the plates you made to take out the side-to-side slop, and would like more details of the components you attached to the plates. It looks like you used socket head cap screws bolted through slots to stabilize the ram. Is that a nylon screw that I circled in yellow?

IMG_7366.jpg

I used 3/4" needle bearing cam followers. The nylon bolts ride against the frame to prevent movement laterally.

Attachments

• IMG_8922.JPG
    IMG_8922.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_8921.JPG
    IMG_8921.JPG
    830.9 KB · Views: 295
Oh Man! I should post the simple (maybe too simple) fix I did on mind, aluminum shim glued between frame and U shaped top bar the jack forces down, It works, not not nearly a pretty an adjustable down the road.

Another simple way to stiffen your Harbor Freight press frame is to substitute 8 individual bolts at the top of the frame for the for the 4 through bolts supplied with the press. I used grade 8 flanged bolts with lock washers and nuts. I was surprised by the difference it made.

I know others have done this, so I certainly can't take credit for the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_8963.JPG
    IMG_8963.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 314
Back