Stainless - Who Makes The Best Drill Bits And Taps On The Planet?

coolidge

Active User
Registered
I'm riled up so price is no object. I used cobalt drill bits on a stainless project and HSS taps. Man it was kind of ugly it sounded like the stainless was cracking and snapping both during drilling and tapping. I'm used to stainless being kind of gummy I don't know maybe the square tubing was work hardened or something. I shattered a tap and a drill bit even though I was using tap magic. The bits got HOT.

Use some TCE with the the tapping fluid, cuts like butter. 35 years ago Tapmagic came with TCE in it, it was the real deal for tapping, threading and getting an awesome finish on a finishing cut. You can still get it from Scientific Supply houses, 100 per cent. Just add a few drops to an ounce or so of your favorite cutting fluid and you gots the stuff.
michael

316 SS? Slow speed, with a fair amount of feed. Feed like you really mean it, if you let the tool rub it will work harden. Also good carbide bits work pretty well. Sometimes I even use concrete bits. I actually have a 0.201 concrete bit for 1/4-20 tap size.

I like 2 flute gun taps,
Besley, Guhring, & OSG all make excellent quality taps

I like cobalt drills for stainless, lots of bacon grease/mineral oil- 50/50 for drilling and tapping
hard feed, low speed

i have used nozzle dip for the last 30 years:eagerness:

Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 3.16.43 AM.png

I've been using the same Cleveland HSS drill bit sets I was first given in 1981. Yes, a few bits have been replaced multiple times but from getting to short. They've cut every unhardened material I've put them on. Sounds to me like you're running too many RPM's.

400 to 600 rpms drilling, the tap shattered tapping by hand.

Back