Stand For Atlas Mill??

WisJim

Registered
Registered
I just brought home a usable Atlas MF mill, but get a stand with it. What have others done? I have a simple sheet metal stand that I think originally had a small table saw or band saw on it, but it seems kind of shifty for the mill. I am thinking of a box cabinet made of plywood--any other good ideas or suggestions, especially if you have made something similar or can provide a link to something like that??
Thanks!

Jim

I need info on best height for a stand, etc., also.
Thanks!

Jim

I used a Waterloo bottom tool chest. I put a piece of particle board with about 8 coats of urethane on top of the chest; screwed cleats around the board to capture it on the tool chest. Works great for me, convenient for moving the mill around, lots of storage right under the tool. No problems with accuracy from vibrations or anything.

Bruce

atlas mill.jpg

If you have to make something from scratch, 2x4's and 3/4" plywood will work well. Under the mill, I would use two layers of the plywood topped with a large rectangular serving tray with raised edges. My drill press and arbor press have been on such stands for 35 or 40 years now.

The factory steel stand is 32" tall, not counting the lip around the tray on top.

Atlas sold hardwood cabinets for several machines in the 1940's. The M1-750 cabinet was sold for both the horizontal mill and the metal shaper. It was listed as 18"x30" and 31-3/4" high. I have a PDF of the catalog for these wood stands "Bulletin NO. F3 - February, 1943". I can upload it if it's not here already, not sure where I got it from.

EDIT:
Found it on the Vintage Machinery Web Site:
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3441

Last edited:
They also sold a floor stand with cast iron legs and hardwood top and shelf. This was 33-1/2" tall.

Back