Stand for Bench Grinder

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just purchased a 1 h.p. 11 amp 8" bench grinder, and I'm trying to decide what to mount it on. I have it temporarily sitting on an 18" x 24" work stand with locking casters. I also have a 40 lb. 19" diameter drill press base with a 2 3/4" x 31" column in its center. I am considering welding a piece of 1/2" plate at the top to accommodate the grinder.

If I mount it on the drill press column, I can free up the work stand, which I use frequently for other purposes. It would also take up slightly less floor space. However, I would give up the shelf underneath, which might be used for extra wheels, and jigs, and other items. It would also become stationary. One of the pics shows a photoshop likeness of what it would look like on the column.

What would you guys do?

Attachments

• IMG_9222.JPG
    IMG_9222.JPG
    539.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9224.JPG
    IMG_9224.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 50
  • grinder stand.jpg
    grinder stand.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 57
put it on the stand and store the extra wheels elsewhere

I like my bench grinders fixed (bolted to the floor) so I can lean into them if I have too. (just seem safer to me, but personal preference)
Last thing ya want chasing you around the workshop is a an angry grinder. :^)

The half-inch thick plate under the grinder seems a bit of overkill. I would only use a quarter inch plate welded to the post (and save a few bucks). I don't know how big of a welder you have in your shop, but my little flux wire welder would not get sufficient penetration with 1/2 inch plate.

Another classic base is a wheel rim off a truck with a post welded to it. Those are super cheap and have good stability.

Machine a steel disc with a setscrew to slide over the column of sufficient diameter to drill and tap 2 or 3 holes parallel with the bore for screws to attach a 1/2" or 3/4" plywood shelf (round or square) slipped over the column.

Thank you for your input. I already have the 1/2" steel plate 10" x 12". Amazingly enough, my MillerMatic 211 mig welder had no trouble welding a 1/4" wall column to a 3/4" plate in my mag drill project.

I don't want to drill holes in my basement floor. However, since the grinder will be in a corner, I could run a couple of short braces from the 1/2" plate to a couple of wall studs. Also, I could simply hang a shelf or two on the wall behind the grinder.

Attachments

• mag drill.JPG
    mag drill.JPG
    651.6 KB · Views: 43
  • weld.JPG
    weld.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 51
If the it’s going into a corner anyway why not just hang a shelf off the wall and put the grinder on it and be done with it? Save the mobile base for your other uses as well as the stand, and no holes in the floor.

-frank

Brake drums from heavy trucks make excellent bases for your machine.. My arbor press is on a stand like that:
the drum weighs 125 lbs and the column (1/4" wall rectangular tube) weighs another 40 - 50. It doesn't move.
The other advantage of the drum is they're easy to move around the shop by tilting them a bit and rolling them.
If there's a heavy truck repair place near you, just ask if they have any lying around. I got two of them for free.

I 2nd putting a shelf in the corner. If you need some extra support to the shelf run a 2x4 from the center of the shelf down to the corner. The 2x4 will be out of the way and provide plenty of support.

I have mine secured on a 4 wheel bench, sorta similar to the left side image. This way I can roll it outside if the weather is decent so I don't have all the grinding dust in the shop. I like the truck wheel idea as well. But since you're putting it in the basement, the corner shelf is probably what I would do.
Mike

Back