Stand Up Threading Insert

In the image on the page that you linked to, the insert is oriented such that its upper left corner would be cutting the thread with the work piece rotating clockwise.

Tom

1517004081942.png

Thanks. Not like this then. Probably why my thread was all boogered up.IMG_20180126_160551114.jpg

Yes, not like that. You're welcome. ;)

Tom

@ddickey does the insert by any chance have a c'sink on both sides?

such as this one and only in my drawer. Where it came from I have no idea.
1517011618810.png

That is an end tool probably made by P H Horn, it screws into a pocket on the face of the holder, they are handed left and right.
Horn makes excellent small internal grooving and threading tools. It is unlikely that you will find them at harbour freight however.

http://www.hornusa.com/

Last edited:
One thing to watch for. There are two different variations of this on edge insert. The one in the pictures above, with the countersunk hole, are held in the holder with a flat head type of screw, which is special to these holders. The other variation, which you don't see much anymore, has a straight hole in the insert, no countersink for the fat head type screw. This one is held in place with insert screw and clamp. A good Button head screw works good as an replacement for both types, and replaces the clamp when the clamp gets in the way when threading up to a shoulder. Ken

I have the A.R. Warner Kit #18 which is a 1/2in toolbar. Showing this for additional reference to other readers.

This is how the insert was positioned in the kit.

The toolbar is designed with two positions, the one shown is for external threading. The one at the end is for internal threading.

The kit has two HSS inserts. The one mounted on the toolbar is neutral rake. The one below is positive rake. Easier to see how it is ground back on the right hand corner.

I purchased this only a couple of weeks ago. I have not used this so far.

The inserts have countersink on both sides.

Threading_standup_HSS_insert_tool_8523.jpg

That's the insert I have, the one in the holder.
This the holder I modeled mine from. I wonder if that bottom support like yours would be better. Guess I'll find out later today.
1517062349452.png

Back