Standard Modern users?

wpala

Active User
Registered
Hi
I see only Monarch users in here no Standard Modern users?? I just got a 13x30 SM 2000 in really nice shape got it in to pieces and moved it to the basement that was quite a chore but not as bed as I thought, now I don't envy myself if we move and need to take it up stairs I think i will need at least 2 more strong adults for that Lol.
photos will follow soon was just wondering if any users out there can give me any tips on tooling, what sort of cutting tools they use with their lathes etc..

Paul

Ok I finally got her together boy was she heavy here are some photos, I still need to re-power her I just order 120/220 1.5HP motor until I get all the electrical ready for VFD and 3 phase
I was surprise how good condition is the lathe I have notice that some of the models have larger cross slide this one is noit that large but for the hobbyist work that I do it will be more then my previous SB 10K
IMG_9442.jpgIMG_9443.jpgIMG_9445.jpgIMG_9446.jpgIMG_9448.jpgIMG_9450.jpgIMG_9451.jpgIMG_9452.jpg

IMG_9442.jpg IMG_9443.jpg IMG_9445.jpg IMG_9446.jpg IMG_9448.jpg IMG_9450.jpg IMG_9451.jpg IMG_9452.jpg View attachment 95475

Very nice! I'm rather impressed with those machines and searched hi & low to get a good used one. -Never got my wish and it's obvious why. They're good machines worth hanging on to.

FWIW, a friend of mine was a chief engineer on ocean going transport ships. The line he worked for was outfitted with Standard Moderns. Those machines got used and they hung tough.

Thanks for posting the pics.

EDIT: BTW, good job moving it and glad all went well.

I own three Standard-Modern Lathes
13X40
17X54
20X60
Wonderful machines
Now made in America!
Just outside Philadelphia Pa.

Wow, what a great looking machine and thanks for the excellent photos. I'm sure you will be making chips before long.
To all on this list, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I just picked up a 14" Utilathe series 3000. 1967 from an old timer who originally bought it from a local college. I can find lots on the smaller utilathes but almost nothing on the 14" version. Anyone with info or paperwork is invited to contact me. Thanks

Hi Guys, I also own a Standard Modern Lathe it is the 11x20 Utilathe, it came complete with taper attachment, 3 & 4 Jaw Pratt Burnerd chucks and a Pratt Burnerd Collet Chuck, Steady and follow rest, D!-3 camlock spindle.
The lathe went back to the factory for a rebuild in the 70's and has pretty well remained as it was when
it left the factory with no measureable wear anywhere, an identifying plate is mounted on the front face of the cabinet with the date of the rebuild.
bigbull

You guys are making me cry -especially the guy that's got 3 of them.

Here is a nice one. I bought 2 of these and sold one. It's a 13/40 made in 1990. Came with everything but collets and DRO for $1250 and tax each.

P1010787.JPG

P1010787.JPG

Back