Standard or Proprietary Collet?

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Can anyone recognize this collet as being a standard/common type? It looks about the size of an ER-11 collet but the nose is different. Works like an ER collet though, captured in the collet nut & releases with nut. I'm thinking it might be proprietary but hoping it isn't. Thanks

20191024_235924.jpg

Came out of this
20191024_175603.jpg

That's one I've never come across Will . Looks like a very small Erickson but I've never seen them that small .

Many tools like routers and such with similar collets are proprietary. Even worse is the same manufacturer will use a different one for different model tools.

Closest I have ever seen to that is a TG collet, but that looks different/proprietary to me.

While I understand the question from a wanting-to-understand point of view, from a practical stance, why not just buy several from the mfg and be done with it? Expense? No longer made? That grinder/sander looks recent.

why not just buy several from the mfg and be done with it? Expense? No longer made? That grinder/sander looks recent.

I thought of suggesting that also, but when I looked this grinder appears to be a very recent release and none of my normal tool parts suppliers had a listing for it yet so couldn't find the cost.

If it's like some of my routers they are pretty expensive because they only sell them with the nut, not the collet alone.

Thanks fellas, I thought so but gave it shot asking anyway.

Mainly I was just curious. I don't need a replacement collet but a spare would be nice to have around. Really I wanted to get a 1/8" collet. They are available & their other die grinders use this collet also. But the damn little things are crazy expensive, like $30. I ain't paying that much unless I really need a replacement. I have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter somewhere so I'll just use that if I ever have a need to use small shanks in this grinder. Otherwise a Dremel will do fine for the small shank bits.

Back