Starrett 711LCSZ Kit Any Comparable Kits For Less $

Please pardon my bias, but for that kind of money you could get a GOOD test indicator set... Tesa, B & S Bestest, Alina, or Interapid. Make sure you are not getting a bit ahead of yourself, your description shows you as a newbie, and you might change your mind on what might work best for you before you need that level of classiness in an indicator set. If you are still setting up shop, there are plenty of decent but inexpensive indicator sets that will work just fine for you, and will cause much less of a cringe if you crash one.

I was more interested in all the attachments, but your are right and I found a much cheaper alternative this morning that will do what I require. Now to purchase a magnetic base and off to races we go. A crash would be very upsetting and costly. Thanks to everyone that are willing to share the knowledge they have accumulated with me.
uire. upload_2017-3-30_10-13-8.png

Look at the Noga products. I have had great success with them, very high quality, smooth and rigid, easy to move around and to lock solidly. Import "equivalents" are just not the same.

I have both and Noga sure is superior, all my tooling is used, I have been patient and have gotten good deals, picked up a Suburban 3" grinding vice and Suburban angle block set at the swap meet yesterday for $70 total. retail about $800 still like new with cosmoline on the vice. the same with my Noga good luck on some good deals.

Please don’t get me wrong. I like Starrett stuff, but with at least one exception, there Last Word indicator. It has been around forever too. And no change in its design? Maybe it’s me? I would take an Interapid for 200 bucks over a Last Word for 5 bucks any day of the week.

What chip said!!!! Last word is not a good tool IMO. I was given one years ago, I gave it away shortly there after. Interapid 312-b is a workhorse, accurate, takes a beating. If mine broke tomorrow I would order new one while I sent broken one out to Long Island for repair.

I have both and Noga sure is superior, all my tooling is used, I have been patient and have gotten good deals, picked up a Suburban 3" grinding vice and Suburban angle block set at the swap meet yesterday for $70 total. retail about $800 still like new with cosmoline on the vice. the same with my Noga good luck on some good deals.
:you suck:

Darn! I must be holding my upper lip just right. I grew up using nothing but Starrett 711 dial indicators and have several in my collection. Also have a couple of B & S's and others. The only real issue I have with them, over time they get gummed up and don't indicate as they should. When that happens, I either send them off to get cleaned or clean them myself with a little Naphtha or a dab or brake clean.

Found a Noga on sale and made the purchase. One thing I have learned being new in this hobby is that once you think you got it covered you can always add something else to your tool kit.

Last edited:
Back