starrett 98 level not level

boringbar

Registered
Registered
I have a Starrett 98 8" level I want to use for, what else, levelling my lathe and it performs exceedingly well. I also have a 98-6" level in need of help, it will not level. In the past, to test levels, I'd do so rotating them 180. This one will level in 1 direction but is quite far out when rotated. I would like to adjust it, it has the screws for this but what to adjust, it's level unidirectional. Would the glass be defective, all else looks well cared for. Thank you for your help.BB

I would suggest sending it to Starrett. I have seen this before, actually on a 98-6, I believe the vial was ground wrong.:thinking:

Thank you Irish, methinks you're right. I hope I can find a return address in Canada.

Starrett Company of Canada, 1244 Kamato Rd. Mississauga, ON, L4W 1Y1. Phone, 905-624-2750.;)

Wow, thanks RedIrish, you got that info faster than I did. Mind you I've been doing Easter stuff all day. That address is only about 15 min from where I work, again thanks for the help.BB

Thanks guys, I'm going to call Starrett to see how much they want for the vial replacement. Lucky for me I can get there after work to save on the shipping costs. I'll let you know how it goes. Again, thanks.

Just throwing this in.

How to level a Starrett or any other kind of adjustable level. Take a framing square and lay it on a flat surface the surface doesn't need to be level.

Fix the square so it won't move and if your doing a 12 Level you can set it on 12" and 12" Marks. Make sure you make the square so when you turn it 180 that it sets in the same place.

Then you adjust it until it reads the same both ways and your level will be level.

Paul

That only works if the vial is accurate. Been there, done that. I've replaced several vials on Starrett levels after some ham-fisted idiot dropped them, and have found one with a defective vial that could not be adjusted. You are right on about putting the level in the same position, I use a felt tip marker on the surface plate.

I only put that up because I figured some of the new guys mite not know about it. Anyhow I've had some bad vials to.

Paul

I called Starrett today and found that a replacement "plug&glass"(?, the easiest way to fix it) will cost me about $67. That's 1/2 the cost of a new one. I didn't drop, smack, kick or throw it, I'm very careful with good stuff. Last time I used one the guy I was working with thought I was being a "smarty pants" by wiping the base each time I took a reading. He thought I was overdoing it. No matter, somehow it must have gotten smacked. Glad it wasn't my 8"er. Thanks for all the input, nice to have the help.

Back