Starrett Bandsaw Blades

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, I broke my Lenox bandsaw blade on my portable bandsaw cutting 3/4" steel stock.

No problem. I replaced it with a Starrett blade which I've heard good things about and wanted to try anyway. Well, it cuts very, very well. It's much faster than the Lenox blade. The downside is the thing screams while cutting. Has anyone else experienced this?

Same tooth count? If you have some of the cutting wax that comes in a pushup tube, that would probably help, that and make sure your not twisting the blade in the cut. Mike

I use Starrett blades in my Milwaukee portable, mostly for steel. Very good blades in my experience.
Perhaps use a lower speed if your saw has multiple speeds, or variable, along with some cutting wax.

Hope you get the problem solved.

Cutting wax
Check blade tension
Check that the tongues are holding the blade securely L<->R and at the back.
If your tongues are ball bearings, lube them.

I have Starrett blades in my vertical bandsaw. They seem to work well.

The Starrett blade is 10 TPI and the Lenox was 10/14 TPI. Is this the lube you are talking about?. My speed is set to max. I'll try lowering the speed next time.

Aren't the ball bearings sealed? I'll check that, too.

Seems like I’ll order some Starrett blades for my portable HF saw , I have it set vertical on a stand . Where do you members recommend getting them from ? Also i would like to try the wax mentioned.

I bought mine from McMaster-Carr, part number: 4051A11.

Home Depot may carry them too. At least the nearest one to me did. It's amazing how long those blades last.

Back