Starrett last word indicator

iron man

Active User
Registered
Some years ago I purchased a Starrett last word indicator it come in a very nice sealed box and it never really got used much. Now I have a use for it and everytime I take it out it is sticky and very slow to react. I was told you have to send them in to the Starrett gods for repair it was never used so there really was no repair that I could see so I filled a small jar lid with some WD40 and let the mechanism not the dial soak for about 2 to 4 min. and it worked good as new. A few weeks later and I went to use it and same thing soak in the WD40 bath for a couple minutes and just like new again. It seems as though if you do not use this indicator all the time it take's offense to it and seems to want to teach you a lesson. On the other hand I have some imported copy that you could drop it, kick it throw it at a cat soak it in salt water and it would still work what gives??? I have no doubt the Starrett indicater is a very sensitive good indicator maybe to sensitive??? Ray

Well, first, stop with the WD-40. It's original intent was to displace water, and it took 40 attempts to get a marketable product. It is marginal for most other things, IMO. You do need to clean the indicator, and lubricate it. I believe Starrett offers a lube for precision instruments.....seems it's called M1, but I have used a good quality fishing reel lube on some of my stuff for years and never have a problem with sticking. Truthfully, some instruments don't really need the lube so much as rust protection. I have a couple of DTI's that I hve cleaned in ultrasonic tanks, then 99% Isopropanol and let then air dry, and keep them in a case with a desiccant sachet. They are perfectly happy dry.

Thanks Tony the reason I used the WD40 was just in case of mild rust I know WD40 has very little lubrication value if any at all but it should displace the moister if any the indicator was always in its case and used probably a total of 15 minutes in its life.. I will check into the lube you recommended.. Ray

The first indicator I bought was a Starrett Last Word and I had the exact same problem that you described. The fix that I came up with was to buy a Interapid problem solved.

frankie

The first indicator I bought was a Starrett Last Word and I had the exact same problem that you described. The fix that I came up with was to buy a Interapid problem solved.

frankie

We use to use the starretts all the time and in the dirty conditions they seemed to work ok this one was stored in a clean dry place. I use to know a guy that had the same problem once in a while he would soak it in lighter fluid. The Intetapid looks like a nice unit I also have a Gem indicater that seems to work good. Ray

The oil has probably solidified from sitting on the shelf. You cleaned it out with the WD-40 (it's a great solvent), now give it a bit of lite lubricant, and you should be good to go. I have a last word, and have used it extensively for about 2 years. Like it quite a bit.

The oil has probably solidified from sitting on the shelf. You cleaned it out with the WD-40 (it's a great solvent), now give it a bit of lite lubricant, and you should be good to go. I have a last word, and have used it extensively for about 2 years. Like it quite a bit.
To disolve old oils and greases...nothing beats GAS NAFTA.

There are two basic types of naptha, aliphatic and aromatic. Aliphatic has a lower flash point >80°F, so is a bit more dangerous to use, but typical aromatic is used for safety reasons as a cleaning solvent, having a fp of around 140°F. Consumers have access to relatively light naptha in the form of lighter fluid, and at the pain store in VM&P naptha. Both make good cleaning solvents, but have a low flash point, so use with caution, and not near sources of ignition.

The entire family of napthalenes encompasses many different molecular weights and carbon counts, and account for a large portion of gasoline feedstock.

I have good results with those gun cleaning patches soaked with gun oil and keep my instruments
in zip lock baggies expelling the air before I zip it. WD 40 is excellent squirtin ants and moths.

Years ago, The "Last Word" was all we could buy and it worked well. I still use mine and when I see them at an auction I buy or at least bid on them. Have any of you heard about a book called "The Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy"? It is a book written by Wayne Moore of Moore Special Tool and he helped invent Moore Jig Bores. In many of the close up pictures while they are describing how to accurately scrape a jig bore their using a "Last Word". I own Inter-Rapids and Brown and Sharp Best Test indicators too. My favorite is a .0005 Best Test. :))

Back