Starrett Level Cost

atlas ten

Registered
Registered
Hi I'm wondering how much a decent machinist level worth? For me the shipping to Canada can become costly. I have to take that into consideration. I plan to use it for leveling my machines. It seems there are different types?
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I bought a 12" one in the original box at an Auction last year for $50. It also had an extra vile.
Watch Ebay. I see some 6" and 8" going cheap at $75.
Otherwise, look for Auctions listing machinists tooling.

IMHO For leveling machines in a home/hobby shop you don't necessarily need a Starrett. I paid $80 for a used "made in Poland" brand level on eBay. It's accurate to .0005" in 12" I think it is more than adequate to level most machines.

I see couple stores here close to me that have imported precision levels. New 6" $100. .0002" per 6". New 12" $140. .0002 per 10". For buying from ebay can cost lots. With ebay global shipping import fees and shipping. They only to ship using highest cost.
Jack

I think they can be had at bargains on ebay from time to time. For sure a lot are listed quite high, i think my small ish one (4inch maybe) starret was about 20-30 dollars (i translated i paid uk pounds) and it's as new in box etc. I often see very high end ones from less well known brands for quite good prices. As eddy says for example he has a quality level made in poland from a less well known company.

Also their (for most people) not an every day tool so they don't get too beeten up, mine just lives in a clean set of draws in the house where i keep low use precission bits.

Stuart

If you're really wanting to get a Starrett, KBC Tools has them on sale for January. $143.00 for a 6". I buy from them a fair bit, and shipping is good.

-frank

Ok. I heard of them before. Just out of curiosity on broken levels. Can the vials be replaced in the precision type?
Jack

Got my Starrett 98-12 at a flea market for $45. Paid the man and walked away very briskly. It's in excellent condition.

I bought a new Starrett 8" last year thru Amazon. Ca $168.00 including delivery and taxes. The last level I'll ever have buy

Back