Starrett Micrometer Repair

shell70634

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have been given a Starrett 216RL-1 that appears to have little use. When I turn the adjust barrel, I feel it hang up slightly 3 or 4 times per revolution. The hang up is not consistent with any distance the barrel is turned. It doesn't stop the turning but definitely has a glitch that is easily felt. I'm trying to figure out if I can disassemble and reassemble or if I should just send to Starrett for repair. I understand how they work but sometimes I can be heavy handed with fragile tools and I've never taken one apart.

The box is marked 216RL-1. This is the one I have. It doesn't match the picture on Starrett's web site. The biggest difference is the lack of numbers on the barrel.Starrett.JPG

There are several videos on YT showing repair & adjustment of “mechanical digital “ micrometers including one (IIRC) from Mr. Pete. I would search & explore to see if these are applicable (on my phone otherwise I’d poke around and include some links. If memory serves, it’s not difficult, just some adjustment of the “counter block.”

The box is marked 216RL-1. This is the one I have. It doesn't match the picture on Starrett's web site. The biggest difference is the lack of numbers on the barrel.View attachment 434763
I have one of these. I’ve cleaned mine a couple times. Not difficult just use a high quality screwdriver to remove screws. There’s slots on the inner screws holding the digital scroll. If not properly clearanced they get sticky. Just play with the spacing and it will probably be ok. Definitely worth fixing. It’s my favorite 0-1”. I have a 1-2” as well.

I have one of these. I’ve cleaned mine a couple times. Not difficult just use a high quality screwdriver to remove screws. There’s slots on the inner screws holding the digital scroll. If not properly clearanced they get sticky. Just play with the spacing and it will probably be ok. Definitely worth fixing. It’s my favorite 0-1”. I have a 1-2” as well.
My favorite version is my Mitutoyo CombiMike: digital to 0.01mm, thimble to 0.0001”. I also have (amusingly) a 0-1” (0.001” digital & 0.0001” on the thimble) Mitutoyo and 0-25mm (0.01mm digital & tick marks but no numbers on the thimble) Starrett.

Last edited:
I have a set of import dial-a-digit mics that I like using, especially out of position and in low light. They're good for beer drinking days, too. (kidding... kidding.) I think that our resident expert on those micrometers is @BGHansen. He has quite a collection, so he may have some insight if he hears the dog whistle tone!

Back