Starrett Micrometer Too Tight to Ratchet

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
All of my micrometers have ratcheting mechanisms. Of these, only one (Starrett) micrometer is too tight to ratchet.

I bought it on eBay. I believe it is NOS. I oiled the spindle, moved it all the way in and out many times, oiled it again and even let it sit. The ratchet knob has never been able to overcome the resistance of the spindle.

The ratcheting knob spins very easily. I either need to increase the ratchet’s torque or, more likely, somehow free up the spindle more.

I use way oil for the oiling.

You need to send to M. R. Tool Repair on facebook. Way oil was the wrong thing to do. This is the oil for micrometers.
Starrett Micrometer Oil

You need to send to M. R. Tool Repair on facebook. Way oil was the wrong thing to do. This is the oil for micrometers.
Starrett Micrometer Oil

Oh, no! I am not on Facebook, but I will check it out. Great tip!

Thanks Tom, I was just trying to remember when I did that to search for the thread! :)

-frank

Yes, flush it out, I'd use a solvent to remove the heavier oil, then re oil with a light oil, probably the Starrett oil would be best, if it is still too tight, the nut can be adjusted to loosen up the thread fit. Sometimes, someone has fiddled with the lock collar without the spindle being in the mike, and it can get very draggy, there was a recent thread that dealt with that problem and how to resolve it. I am sure that Starrett has instructions as how to adjust the nut, I think the same adjusting wrench fits both the nut and the graduated sleeve zeroing device.

Before I sent it off, I'd be tempted to flush it out with WD-40 and re-oil it with sewing machine oil. Then, if that didn't work, I'd try what francist did with his Starrett in this old thread. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/starrett-ratchet-stop-tension.31892/

Tom

It was very easy to fix by taking it apart and flushing everything out with WD-40. At one point I used my lungs to blow down the spindle shaft really hard as one would do when shooting a blow dart.

All good now. She is smooth as silk and ends up at dead zero with no adjustment needed.

These are super easy to take apart. I love Starrett.

Glad it worked out for you, Erik. Now to the important stuff... do you have any money that we can help you spend? :grin:

Tom

I just bought three metric Starrett mikes. eBay is pretty good for used mikes. I buy the discontinued models.

Personally I never use the ratchet. I have learned to use my feel to determine when the mic is adjusted properly. Don't trust ratchets as the torque they apply varies from mic to mic. Never heard of a way to adjust the torque they apply.

Back