starrett protractor

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
Guys,
Need some help with a recent little score.

I have had for years, (I think it was my dads') a combination square that has the looks, build, and feels of a Starrett, it has a Starrett "4R grad" rule, but there are no markings on the head to indicate model number etc.
IMG_5290.jpg IMG_5291.jpg
The writing on the rule is a bit difficult to pick out, but it is there.

Recently I picked up a Starrett #12 protractor, I know this because it says so right here
IMG_5287.jpg
And it also came with a #"4R grad rule"
In use the rule projects slightly below the bottom edge of the protractor when set parallel with the protractor.
IMG_5288.jpg IMG_5289.jpg
Does this seem right? I would have thought that the rule would normally sit flush with the base of the protractor?
Also there are 2 small screws, with shoulders, that presumably at 1 stage held something on.
IMG_5286.jpg
Did this perhaps have a level vial fitted?
Also does anyone know if there is, or should be a model number stamped on the combo square? After seeing the model on the protractor and where it is located, I have gone right around the perimeter of the combination head but cant find anything.

Cheers Phil

IMG_5290.jpg IMG_5291.jpg IMG_5287.jpg IMG_5288.jpg IMG_5289.jpg IMG_5286.jpg

Here's picture of new Starrett combination square set that I have.
DSCF1401.jpg

The only place the Starrett name is on the square head is where I pointed the red arrow and it's covered in paint. The centering head isn't marked at all. As you can see your protractor head is missing the level vial and yes the rule does protrude out the bottom a little.

DSCF1401.jpg

Thanks Don,
I had another close look at my square, and without scraping the paint back, I would say that it does'nt have any model # on mine as indicated. Thanks for confirming the protrusion from the base of the protractor.

Cheers Phil

Guys,
Need some help with a recent little score.

I have had for years, (I think it was my dads') a combination square that has the looks, build, and feels of a Starrett, it has a Starrett "4R grad" rule, but there are no markings on the head to indicate model number etc.
View attachment 37034 View attachment 37035
The writing on the rule is a bit difficult to pick out, but it is there.

Recently I picked up a Starrett #12 protractor, I know this because it says so right here
View attachment 37036
And it also came with a #"4R grad rule"
In use the rule projects slightly below the bottom edge of the protractor when set parallel with the protractor.
View attachment 37037 View attachment 37038
Does this seem right? I would have thought that the rule would normally sit flush with the base of the protractor?
Also there are 2 small screws, with shoulders, that presumably at 1 stage held something on.
View attachment 37039
Did this perhaps have a level vial fitted?
Also does anyone know if there is, or should be a model number stamped on the combo square? After seeing the model on the protractor and where it is located, I have gone right around the perimeter of the combination head but cant find anything.

Cheers Phil

The blade is below the edge of the base so when the blade is set at 90 degrees the markings line up properly

Back