Start capacitor with a resistor

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
BMI Start Capacitor # 092A430B250DE8A is the Airstar supply number I have on the canister, but it's not showing up with my Google skills. It seems the DE8A is giving me problems, and might be a type of diode on the canister. The diode I have in hand has RED, BLACK, and BROWN stripes, the brown may be gold color. I have zero "0" knowledge as far as what is compatible to run the RPC, I'm not seeing the correct color diodes on any capacitors I've looked at. Thank you.

Components with colour strips are often resistors not diodes.
Can you supply some pictures to help ID it?

-brino

I won't be home till later tonight 21:30 is my quitting time here.

this is from online, I'll get the picture up when I get home
1606783414635.png

Last edited:
the diode is a bleed down resistor.
anything over 10k and 20k should be sufficient

Components with colour strips are often resistors not diodes.
Can you supply some pictures to help ID it?

-brino
We need the physical size, that would give you an idea of wattage. Unless it is defective, take an ohm meter on it. It should measure 200 ohms both ways if this is a resistor.

I just added an online picture above.
Thanks Mike, I'm in charge of getting replacements, so looking for exact part numbers, I have been charged nothing for the installation so far. The RPC was exceptionally packed too

That's a resistor. Not quite sure of colors from the pic, but IF black, blue, red, gold, in that order:
black = 0
blue = 6
red = x100
gold = +/- 5%

600 +/- 30 ohms

Tom

1606791759296.png

The bleeder resistor value has already been calculated by several above. What I have to inject into the conversation is that the resistor has NO practical function in the circuit The only thing it does is eliminate the charge on the capacitor when it is disconnected. In theory, you could cut the resistor completely out. In practice, it is strongly advised not to. I personally have seen an industrial motor capacitor burn halfway through a 1/4" screwdriver. The resistor is there to prevent such a situation.

Usually, a single phase motor cap. will "get weak", losing its' capacity to hold sufficient charge. On occasion, it will fail "shorted". In such a situation, the top of the cap will be turned into a cinder or blown off. If it fails "open", the resistor is the only thing between the start winding and power. In such cases, it will often simply vaporize.

There are times it is necessary to check a cap with an ohm-meter. The prefered practice is to use an analog (moving needle) meter. A digital meter can be used, but the changing digits are difficult to resolve, looking like a series of "8s". A low value, below 5K (5000) ohms can distort the measurement taken. In the case of a good capacitor, such distortion is irrelevent. If one is marginal, the distortion can make it look bad.

If the contraction RPC is to name a "rotary phase converter", I apologize. I have been chatting away about small motors. An RPC is just a big (relative) 3 phase motor and a handful of capacitors. The same comments will apply.

Back