Starting lathe training

Take notes, and listen to the instructor. he may be able to give you information others would not. Also you may be able to find out if you can use some of the equipment when a class is not. I know some places let you once they know you etc.

They sure didn't have schools like that in North Little Rock when I lived there.that was a long time ago..have fun.learn a lot

They sure didn't have schools like that in North Little Rock when I lived there.that was a long time ago..have fun.learn a lot
I think they started building Pulaski Tech in 1974. The VA at Ft Roots donated the land to NLR. The University of Arkansas System took it over last Semester so now it is UA-Pulaski Tech. There other campuses around Little Rock but NLR is the main campus.

Is Ft Roots still on top of scenic hill.used to be a VA metal hospital .i grew up in Bellwood at bottom of scenic hill.they had sirens that would let the public know a patient had escaped.back when B 58 hustlers would break windows with sonic booms..what part of NLR is tech located in ?

Is Ft Roots still on top of scenic hill.used to be a VA metal hospital .i grew up in Bellwood at bottom of scenic hill.they had sirens that would let the public know a patient had escaped.back when B 58 hustlers would break windows with sonic booms..what part of NLR is tech located in ?
We moved to Levy, 52nd and Camp Robinson Road, in 72 while I was in High School. My dad had an Esso/Exxon station where Pike and Camp Robinson split before you get to the Levy Baptist Church. I graduated from NLRHS in 1973. Pulaski Tech is right next door to Ft Roots. There is also Aviation training at NLR Airport, Southwest Little Rock has the Culinary, Collision repair, Diesel and auto repair and small engine (motorcycle and lawn equipment) I just finished the coursework for Collision Repair in the fall. One of my classmates in the course, teaches the small engine repair and he sold a lathe to me. https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...2e34b9135b5f448c!8m2!3d34.783579!4d-92.299003

Last edited:
Levy used to be my stomping grounds .did a lot of stupid stuff there.been doing goggle earth .lot has changed since 74.i used to climb from the river up to Ft. Roots.was very hard and dangerous .young and dumb..and stupid.i graduated sylvan hills high school 1970..if we haven't moved to Sherwood you and my brother would have graduated together.sorry for long post..

papa-roe,

I'm excited for you! Your enrollment in formal training will not only save you time in the long run, but more importantly keep you safe. This is such a cool and exciting field and that Tech-shop floor looks impressive. Do keep us posted on your learning progress.

Paco

As expected, we teamed up and indicated the 4 jaw chucks today. My partner and I both got it down pretty fast so the instructor gave us a square part to indicate. A little more complicated but we got it. All in all we had a good day. Tuesday we will watch him demonstrate on a part and then it will be our turn. Two days a week for an hour and a half is not much time. About the time we get started, it is time to put stuff away. In Welding tonight, we got a 9 x 9 sheet of steel, 6010rods and we made rows of dots. Never used a stick welder before. Went thru a double hand full of rods making dots on both sides of the metal. Each side 2 or 3 times over and over. From about 6:30 to 8:30. The steel was at least 3 times as thick when we finished. Monday will be more of the same.

Went thru a double hand full of rods making dots on both sides of the metal. Each side 2 or 3 times over and over...........The steel was at least 3 times as thick when we finished.

There is no substitute for experience..
-brino

Papa-Ro, is there a chance your program has "lab" days. When I was going through my program, we had our scheduled days which were just like yours, part lecture part lab. We also had "Lab only" days where the shop would be open for 2-3 hours, and the students could get additional time to work on their assignments and get more practice on the machines.

Back