Steady rest clamp -- how to replace/fix clamping stud.

rogerrabbit

Active User
Registered
hi all,
been trying to recondition the steady rest for my clausing lathe.. it was in bad shape.

I managed to get almost all the bolts out without breaking them thanks to loads of kroil. however, the nut that holds the clamp at the bottom snapped off..
Apopka-20120609-00142.jpg
steady rest as I received it.
Apopka-20120709-00046.jpgApopka-20120709-00044.jpg

I cant tell if the stud is threaded into the clamp part or press fit (looks like latter though).

my thinking is to drill out the stud and replace with a same sized bolt. then maybe epoxy the bolt to the bottom.. I don't think I will have clearance problems under the bed..

I don't have a set of reamers (yet), so I think press fit is not doable

What other options are there?

-- Roger

Apopka-20120709-00044.jpg Apopka-20120609-00142.jpg Apopka-20120709-00046.jpg

My first thought is it is not a press fit, but either threaded or maybe even soldered. Either way a bit of heat would help in in getting it to release, just don't get to carried away as the base appears to be some sort of casting. Perhaps some heat, and penetrating oil while placed in a good vice and use a pipe wrench or vice grips and see if it will at least begin to turn. If you can get it to twist even a little will mean you broken the bound and then determine whether it is threaded left handed, right handed or ????

Good Luck!

Most steady rest use a through bolt that the head is recessed in the bottom. That mite be the best way to go if you have a mill.

Paul

If it will not come out, you could drill it out and replace it with the same size bolt and pin it in place so it will not turn when you tighten the nut.:thinking:

thanks all.. i dont see a thread on it, so I put it in the drink (electrolytic solution with a battery charger), hopefully then I will see some threads or other clues.

Remote chance that it is cast in. If so, you'll have to drill thru. If you mill a slot in the bottom like most that use a bolt, try for a square head bolt to fit the slot you mill. No lower wrench required that way.

Good suggestions already made. I would try the heat method first. If it wont break loose, cut the part sticking out off with a cut-off wheel. Drill the remaining part of the stuf out and re-tap. If you happen to drill into the existing threads just drill and tap to the next larger size and make a stud to fit.

thank you everyone..
a little update:
Apopka-20120713-00052.jpg
after having it in electrolysis for a few days and some intense wirewheel work (brass wire wheels are awesome!). . I retapped the hole for the holddown bolt and went to get some new bolts today.
just need to fix the bottom clamp and I should be good to go.

here are 2 closeups from my cell phone (I put 2 jamnuts on it trying to break it free).. There might be threads on there but I really cant tell.. what do you think?

gonna try 1 more time with a torch to heat it up..
Apopka-20120712-00050.jpgApopka-20120713-00055.jpg

thanks,
Roger

Apopka-20120713-00052.jpg Apopka-20120712-00050.jpg Apopka-20120713-00055.jpg

Can't really tell about threads, but I think I'd just drill it out and engineer it any way that's most convenient for your set up.

Can't really tell about threads, but I think I'd just drill it out and engineer it any way that's most convenient for your set up.

Agreed. I'd cut the rod/bolt and then drill it out of the clamp. Either tap the hole and use a new bolt or just JB Weld it into place.

Back