Steam Cylinder Slide Valve

Rotex

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Am building a Steam Donkey from Wm. Harris plans and a vertical and a horizontal engine with castings purchased from Burnzoil, a local foundry in Auburn, CA. He, Mark Bruto, does not supply plans but includes several pix. and some dimensions; bore and stroke for the kits. The dimensions for the steam chest ports are .280+.200+.290 +.200+.280. The .200 are the separations between the ports. Should the valve pocket be the sum of two adjacent ports including the space ie; .770 minus 10% =.700 be correct ? A valve casting was supplied but I wonder if bronze might be a better choice ?

Iron against iron works fine for flat valves on steam engines; I built a number of 10 HP compound marine engines years ago, all iron cylinders, pistons, rings piston valve HP, flat valve LP, I hand scraped the valve and port faces, and after many years of use, they still showed scraping marks.

Good to know and thanks neighbor. Have any input on my port spacing issues ? You remember Andy Clerici, another neighbor ?

Good to know and thanks neighbor. Have any input on my port spacing issues ? You remember Andy Clerici, another neighbor ?
I remember his name, but little else. I think I'd need to see a drawing to comment on the port question. Have you been to Sturgeon's Mill and seen their donkey? It is a double drum road engine made to haul logs on skid roads and is in running condition and is run on the run days, but not pulling any logs yet.

Andy was born in very small house on Alta St in Napa. He worked at the local Studebaker dealer from age 16 then at Vets Home till retirement. He and his brother Buck gathered supplies from swap meets etc. to build a Big Boy scale locomotive utilizing a 12X36 Atlas lathe and a Burke horizontal mill. They travelled the 48 running it at Live Steam clubs similar to Golden Gate LS in Tilden Park. He sold it to some musem ? He also ran a ride on garden train in his backyard for the pleasure of neighborhood children. Sturgeons mill steam donkey was responsible for the " I gotta make one " moment. I will try to get a pix. to you, have a great Sunday, Thomas

If you were not aware, I run the engines under the mill floor, the only thing that I do there other than machine work as needed; I made the new bearing caps for the lower drum and also the clutch parts for that same drum, Bob Seyms and I made and changed all the wood block clutch frictions. Bob mostly runs the donkey.

Back