Steam

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I want to build a steam engine, not a model, something that will produce 5-10hp. I have all the machines and tooling for the job. Skill? Maybe.

Does anyone have plans or maybe an old beater engine I could buy and restore?

Thanks for any help.---Matt

For $50 you can buy plans here. No idea about the quality of the plans or what kinds of tools or foundry work are needed to get 'er done.

I just did a quick online search & stopped on the first reasonable looking match.

A more modern version, if you aren't into the steampunk look.

I’ve always been fascinated by steam power and dreamed of having a steam engine generator. Info now is far better than ever on the net. The major drawback for me was the boiler after looking deeper.

good luck and keep us posted.

Keep in mind any engine powered by steam has to be certified before it's used in a public situation like a museum or steam show. A friend of mine built one several years ago with the intention of taking it to a steam club show. To be certified he had to make 2 boiler assemblies and send one in for testing. I'm not sure who the certification authority is, but he was told the testing would destroy the boiler and it wouldn't be returned.

The cost of making a second boiler for the purpose of destroying it was an expense he didn't want to incur. To that end he ran his models on compressed air.

There's a live steam demo from the club in town at the fair next month. Those guys set up some engines making tens of HP. I'll ask them about pressure vessel certification. Some of their engines are definitely working restored and vintage, I wonder if they certified in 1875. Then again, they usually just idle the engines and don't put them under load, so that's got to be a huge factor.

Depending on where you are joining with an established organization might be an option.

One of my friends built a steam powered car, no idea what he had to go through for certification or if he even did.

Also, near me is a railroad that runs steam engines.

Attachments

• IMG_1778.mov
    21.4 MB
Keep in mind any engine powered by steam has to be certified before it's used in a public situation like a museum or steam show. A friend of mine built one several years ago with the intention of taking it to a steam club show. To be certified he had to make 2 boiler assemblies and send one in for testing. I'm not sure who the certification authority is, but he was told the testing would destroy the boiler and it wouldn't be returned.

The cost of making a second boiler for the purpose of destroying it was an expense he didn't want to incur. To that end he ran his models on compressed air.
Something wrong there: the only testing that would destroy a boiler would be destructive testing and pressuring it to failure. This says nothing about the second one.

ASTM Certified pressure vessels and boilers are tested to specific pressures over the design operating pressure which will not destroy the vessel/boiler: it may leak and/or deform, but the test object can be repaired and retested.

@MattM If a reasonably local live steam club is not available, search for an ASTM Certified shop and talk with them about testing.

A more modern version, if you aren't into the steampunk look.
Thanks, I just ordered plans for the two cylinder version. It says it produces 10hp. That machine does not look robust enough to generate 10hp.

Back