Steel hardening questions

On the contrary my friend....Time is most definitely NOT Free as you "pay" for it literally with your Life! Ergo it could be argued that TIME is the one single aspect/resource in EVERY situation that is guaranteed to be Limited and will surely run out of at somepoint which in my eyes makes it Incredibly valuable, in fact, Priceless!

Roof to live under, food, vehicles, fuel, taxes, the list goes on, all cost. I pay for those, every month, every day. If I didn't pay, they would end. The sun has come up over 22,500 times since I was born, and not once did I have to pay anything for it to happen. When it quits rising for me, it will for someone else, who won't have to pay to for it rise either. Sounds free to me. ;)

Two different ways of looking at it, but when you're poor, time is free, everything else is always in doubt.

That looks right handsome and should last a while too-just don't hit any big rocks under the surface
Mark
Dale,
If it works like you need then that's all that matters.
By the way, your results look great!
-brino

Thanks.

Not too many large stone on top of this sand hill, not to mention over the last 10 years I've worked on the driveway, building it up, improving it, it's pretty much all nice gravel. I did try a thin layer of stone on top to see if I could keep it "cleaner". It's going to take a lot longer to get it spread out in a nice, even, top layer than I thought, but then, most projects take far longer than I think they will.

Bottom line, they seem to work the same whether freshly bought, or if they have been stored a while. It's kind of a balancing act between buying big packages which are way cheaper per rod, and buying smaller packages so they get used up before getting too old.

Get a pack of rods you think are old and stick the rods on a metal tray in a mid to high heat household oven for an hour, then try one.
Transfer them to an airtight container before they're fully cooled.

Get a pack of rods you think are old and stick the rods on a metal tray in a mid to high heat household oven for an hour, then try one.
Transfer them to an airtight container before they're fully cooled.

I have some rods out there I inherited which I know are very old. This sounds like a great plan to execute even if I don't use them right away. IE, do something before the coating falls off.

Thanks for the tip. :encourage:

Looks Like a pretty neat piece of gear, I'm sure you'll get a long and useful life out of it.

You need to be aware if you overload the trannys of mowers,lawn tractors,yard tractors, you will quickly bust the sintered gears.......The scarifier shown would be ok in soft dirt ,but to dig ,say,old grassed surface to 1",would definitely overload a yard machine......a small proper tractor would be ok...You also allow for shock load when you hit something solid ,and the machine stops dead....There is no need to harden anything for short term usage with low power.

Back