Steel hardening questions

Waiting to see the finished product, in action.

Downunder Bob, I'm afraid that's going to be a bit of a wait. 3-4 months until it starts to thaw here, although I'm thinking about braving the cold long enough to bolt it together. Won't be on the tractor, as that's carrying the snowblower now, but I'll try to update when pertinent.

That's ok I understand your seasons are back to front with ours, when it's ready will do. we don't even get much snow here, a little bit up in the mountains, but none in the main cities. I've never even seen a snowblower in action, perhaps you could post a pic or two. I see you're in Michigan, I've been there but only in the summer.

I would bet if you would like some hands on experience a few guys here would be more than happy to help you out!
Perhaps the next time in USA in the winter maybe in a year or two.

Spring finally sprung.

Finished up the scarifier, and it does what I wanted it to. Right now it's set to 3/4" depth which will probably be about right once everything is scattered evenly and mixed together. Used leaf spring from old golf cart that was on the property when we bought. No other hardening, just some paint. I'm as bad at painting as I am welding, but it's good enough for me.

QrdA1Rl.jpg

Regarding hardening steel, i’m with psychodelicdan...I recall from a strength of materials class it’s the RATE of cooling that determines the final hardness...faster is harder, and water quenches faster than oil. Heat it as hot as you can get it, throw in a tub of water. If you want it as soft as possible, throw it in your fireplace and get it out of the ashes in the AM.

Time is free, thus worth nothing. :D
On the contrary my friend....Time is most definitely NOT Free as you "pay" for it literally with your Life! Ergo it could be argued that TIME is the one single aspect/resource in EVERY situation that is guaranteed to be Limited and will surely run out of at somepoint which in my eyes makes it Incredibly valuable, in fact, Priceless!

Finished up the scarifier, and it does what I wanted it to.......... I'm as bad at painting as I am welding, but it's good enough for me.

Dale,
If it works like you need then that's all that matters.
By the way, your results look great!
-brino

That looks right handsome and should last a while too-just don't hit any big rocks under the surface
Mark

Back