[How do I?] Steel selection, dealing with mill scale.

Armourer

Registered
Registered
I will keep this quick, I have been machining some items with hot rolled 2X2 and 1X2 and yes the mill scale has been a #$%@#$ to deal with. So I have been trying to switch over to cold rolled 1018 instead BUT I can only find it in squares, not 1X2 where I am. I am kinda at a loss as what to do here. The 1018 is twice as much as the hot rolled, but the time saved in machining it will make up for that, but not being able to get 1X2 in it makes it so I can't make it all out of 1018. The only thing I can think of is to continue using the 1X2 hot rolled and go to the 2X2 1018. The 1X2 I use is 9" long and trying to split the 2X2 1018 with my bandsaw will be time consuming and machining the 2X2 down to 1X2 is a waste of material.

So this brings me here to ask all the experts what they would do! Get the 2X2 1018 and stick with 1X2 hot rolled? Or just stick with hot rolled and find a faster, easier way to remove the mill scale? As far as dealing with mill scale, I don't want to soak in acid, I have a small shop and don't want all my machines/tools rusty. I also don't grind in my shop, as said before its small and attached to my house, so I am afraid of a fire (would be a different story if it wasn't attached to my house) Does anyone have any other ways to get rid of mill scale? Or have any other material suggestions to help out? Thanks everyone for the help!

This is one of those jobs I like having a benchtop shaper for :)

The slow, sure way is filing. That could mean picking up one of those powered files for your air compressor. Another idea would be to use emery cloth on one of those powered sanders that takes sheet sandpaper.

This is one of those jobs I like having a benchtop shaper for :)

The slow, sure way is filing. That could mean picking up one of those powered files for your air compressor. Another idea would be to use emery cloth on one of those powered sanders that takes sheet sandpaper.
You would throw that word shaper out there wouldn't you! lol :grin: I have been trying to find a small 7" one around here for years with no luck! I got lucky just to find my lathe and mill! I don't know why I never thought of a belt sander, that may be something to look into.

I know this doesn't help your current stock, but both onlinemetals.com and Midwest Steel and Aluminum stock 1X2 1018 rectangular bars.

A bead blaster will remove mill scale safely. Machining on CRS is not fun either, it has rolling strains pent up in it, if you machine off one side it will bow.

That was another thing I was concerned about was internal stress in the 1018. I think I will try a few things mentioned here and stick with the hot rolled for now. I know it works so maybe find a better way to deal with the scale other then changing carbide inserts often!

Mill scale is not so much of a problem if you make it a point to get the point of the tool under the scale, there the tool tip is protected from the abrasiveness of the scale, and the scale will just flake off relatively harmlessly.

Try a flap disk on a 4 1/2 grinder, 60 or 80 grit will remove the scale with minimal dust.

Back