Steering wheel on the mill

My military surplus mill didn’t have a way to lower the table ( it was missing)
i had H1 (Hummer) steering wheel well used.
I adapted to the mill

Attachments

• 447253D5-814F-41B8-B8A4-A34E33C29314.jpeg
    447253D5-814F-41B8-B8A4-A34E33C29314.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Howzabout a "necker knob" on your knee wheel ... turn it into a makeshift crank?

It would make it faster turning
easer to set the depth of cuts than the quill

My military surplus mill didn’t have a way to lower the table ( it was missing)
i had H1 (Hummer) steering wheel well used.
I adapted to the mill

It would be best to mark that wheel at the quarter turn mark all around. Something like one turn of white electrical tape at each quarter. Because turning the wheel raises or lowers the knee a certain precise amount. Such as whole turn 100 thousandths, 1/4 turn 25, etc.. So you want to see exactly how far it is going. With the usual handle you can get approximate changes noticing how much you turn the handle. The wheel is fine, just mark it so you can see where you are.

I like that it looks like it would belong there. Nice wheel, looks vintage.

Finally had time to finish and mount a steering wheel in place of the lever style quill feed on the mill. I've been wanting to try one out, but didn't want to drop $200+ on a commercially made one, only to find out I didn't like it. So, I found a Cub Cadet steering wheel on ebay for about $25. Some CRS bar stock, a few 5mm dowel pins, and a little time. So far, I really like it. The wheel size is perfect, about 13" diameter. Will see how it feels after using it a few weeks and decide if it stays, goes, or is used occasionally. Loosen a few set screws, and it comes right off.
View attachment 371047
Did not read the whole post now,but can you easily remove it if it is in the way?

I like that it looks like it would belong there. Nice wheel, looks vintage.
Thanks. Everything is pretty much from the same era. The mill is a 1978, the steering wheel is off a 77/78 Cub Cadet mower, and I'm assuming the knob is from about the same time frame, maybe earlier. Used the knob a bit yesterday, and I think it will stay put.

Did not read the whole post now,but can you easily remove it if it is in the way?
Yes, the whole assembly comes off with three set screws, and then the factory lever can pop right back on.

Back