Stellite and other special/unusual tool bits

It may be a little slower than cutting M2 HSS, but you will get there... Don't forget to wear a good dust mask...

Edit: Do NOT quench the tool.
It's a wonder that so many old machinists have survived to old age with all the stuff we were exposed to; grinding dust, white lead, triclorethylene, PCBs, and so many other things that modern science tells us are bad, even very dangerous!

Hey Bob,
i'll offer you triple what you paid for (each) for a few of the bits ;)

i use stellite insert bladed meat grinder knives in my industry, we sharpen about 120 blades every month.
it sharpens to a fine edge if you have the proper grit grinding wheels

Tecumseh engines use to use stellite in there exhaust valves. I use them for boring bars they're super hard. I think some of the old car valves are the same.

A lot of aircraft engines used Stellite for the valves and seats of internal combustion engines, and in the turbochargers as well, and in the turbines of turboprop and jet engines.

There are a lot of different flavors of "Stellite" for different needs.

Tecumseh engines use to use stellite in there exhaust valves. I use them for boring bars they're super hard. I think some of the old car valves are the same.

Wisconsin air cooled engines also used stellite valves.

briggs and stratton used stellite valve seats on their I/C series engines
That's why there valves burnt out , if the exhaust valve was the same material they wouldn't need the valves cut and lapped. I've had some engines being used a lot that every few years I'd redo the valves . I've also had many of them pop the seats heat and expansion they'd loosen up and pop out .yes I new Wisconsin valves were stelite also many makes used them in some and not others even just exhaust valves.
But I got tired of hearing how Tecumseh engines were no good . They used pressurised oiling system in all models. People always say they were junk but if they took care of them they'd last for decades.

Hey Bob,
i'll offer you triple what you paid for (each) for a few of the bits ;)

i use stellite insert bladed meat grinder knives in my industry, we sharpen about 120 blades every month.
it sharpens to a fine edge if you have the proper grit grinding wheels

I used to work for Stellite in Goshen Indiana, that is where they made the stuff, not sure if they made it elsewhere in the world..
I ran the 40 hp Puma CNC Lathe and machined that stuff.. Should have seen the boss's face when I was taking a .250 depth of cut thru the Stellite and base mat'l, (Stainless) in one pass, with a Ceramic tool. We welded Stellite to base metal and my job was to machine it down to finished size.
We had tried small radius ceramic tools but the kept breaking due to interrupted cuts...
So I put a round Ceramic tool in there and with one pass took at least .250 depth of cut, which was a whole lot more than the reps said it would do... no coolant though, that tended to blow up insert...

The also made the Stellite edged meat cutter blades there on a dedicated welding machine...

Ahh but that was a few moons ago.....

Back