Sten tube

I just edited your post above, it seemed to work OK. I also am hitting enter twice to make a paragraph. Maybe your browser? I am using Google Chrome. Not sure what the problem is, keyboard issue?

Maybe FNGs aren't allowed access to the 'ENTER' key till they have 1000 posts???http://www.hobby-machinist.com/images/smilies/rofl-smiley-gif-800.gif I'll live with it, make short posts and get my post count up.

Karl

PS Looks like I couldn't do the smile right either

PPS, changing AWAY from the wsiwig editor solved this issue

Last edited:
Maybe FNGs aren't allowed access to the 'ENTER' key till they have 1000 posts???http://www.hobby-machinist.com/images/smilies/rofl-smiley-gif-800.gif I'll live with it, make short posts and get my post count up. Karl PS Looks like I couldn't do the smile right either

Try playing with the [SUP]A[/SUP]/A and the [SUP]A[/SUP]xA buttons in the upper left of the of the message box.

Also. go to Settings, General Settings and scroll down and make sure the WYSIWYG editor is turned on.

Had to farm all week so only a little progress here...

made a plug for each end of the tube to match the ID and then have a shoulder. On the drive end made a couple parts to tighten the tube in place, other plug just has a center for the tail stock. Then almost finished indicating in before the football games started.

indicate in.jpg

My real job keeps getting in the way. I cut up the old ones today. Still have to grind out the bits and pieces of the old tube. I decided to have this all done before running the CNC so i can double check the part fits perfectly. Won't have time to do more till the weather gets nasty.

demilled 5.jpg

just a small step this morning before the real job calls...

The part on the extreme right in the previous post is the trunion with receiver tube still welded on. Need to remove that receiver scrap and have the trunion correct OD to fit the new tube. I decided to do this first so the fit can be checked when I turn the new receiver tubes to size.

The secret to this job is soft jaws. Install them first then turn the jaws them self to size. Then your part will run perfectly square and true. I made my soft jaws the hard way - this old chuck doesn't have reversible jaw face. I put another soft jaw in the picture so you can see the scroll teeth cut in the AL.

trunion.jpg

Got part 1 today...

All the work on CNC is getting part 1 right. Then just push the green button for the next 10,000.

First I show boring the ID. To conform to federal laws, a full auto bolt cannot be able to be installed in the weapon. The common way to do this on tube guns is to use thicker wall tubing and only bore out to fit other parts like the trunion and return spring cap in this case.

Then here's the CNC mill running. The real project was installing a servo motor on an index head.

Finally I test fit a rifle together. Found the program needs one extremely small edit.

This tube is original design. I'll also make a couple Indy Ordnance design to use their bolt and fire control group design.

I'll close this thread out at this point. When spot welding together, I'll start a project on how to build your own spot welder and show welding of Stens.

boring.jpg CNC cutting.jpg rifle.jpg

I was going to close this thread.... But, just had to show this little step.

Bored out the scrap tube out of the back of the receiver this morning. Most just use a die grinder or dremmel. Did one this way and it looked terrible to a machinist.

So I made the below setup and bored it out. Worked slicker than snot on a greased glass door knob.

bore receiver.jpg receiver fixture.jpg

Last edited:
Got them all test fit

Sten MK V 5 cropped.jpg

Back