Step drills, what brand?

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have had a cheap one that I bought 10 or 15 years ago, I didn't use it that often until last week when I needed to drill different size holes on a small sheet of( 20Ga) Mild steel,the step drill worked really well.

I'd like to to buy a decent size one like 1/4" to 1.1/4" for the shop for those rare occasions when nothing else works as fast or as cleanly as a well made ,good quality step drill.

Now Viking seems to be well made but (@ $140(set of 3) it is way too expensive for my hobby /occasional use.

what manufacturer comes to your mind when you shop for step drills?

For how often you use it - what about the trick of drilling through cloth?

It is true, a step drill is handy - if you are buying it because you like tools, buy a decent set. If the cost is a concern, don't buy it at all - there are easy work arounds and when that job comes along where a step drill would really make a difference (perhaps a variety of hole sizes, lots of them, in thin material, hand held driver) - then go to the store and buy it (I'm pretty sure they will still be made, still be a common item for many years to come).

I'm working on a few drill bit holder/organizers, finished a wall mounted collet holder already ,drilled 20 or so holes of different sizes on 3 sheets of mild steel, the step drill I used only drills holes up to 3/4" so for the larger holes I used my holesaw set , the step drill I'm thinking of getting is NEIKO brand will cut up to 1.3/8",just the size I'll be needing.can't think of any other tool/bit /method to make this job any easier than a step drill .

I buy tools to use them ,some tools may not be used often enough to justify high prices but the ones I buy are never bought as a piece of decoration or because I like to collect tools.for some of us cost is always a concern.

I bought the original Unibits years and years ago - still sharp, still works well. I'm not sure who made them originally but Irwin makes them nowadays. Have not tried the Klein. I bought two Lenox bits and they dulled almost immediately - what a disappointment.

Dull Lenox bits led me to buy some Hougen Rotabroaches - now I'm a happy boy!

i got a set of 2 HF step bits one goes to 3/4" the other to 1-1/8"
they work well in soft materials.
i also have some Milwaukee step drills, they are double the price but worth the extra coin for work in harder materials

For sheet or thin materials nothing works better than a step drill.

We have a collection of "as founds" from estate sales and such as well as HF stuff.

The hf stuff is sensitive to speed as it will fail if driven too fast and pulsing seems to be less stressful.

Bought maybe 4 sets on sale when we built our shop as we had to drill a fair amount of 5/8 holes in 12 and 16 ga steel and standard drill bit was a pain in the butt with step drills going clean but just not lasting long.

Exchanged them many times so was good to have spares...

Better ones can be sharpened easily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back