Stepper motor power feed question

Garryloy

Registered
Registered
I want to add a diy x-axis power feed to my benchtop mill. It seems that a stepper motor would be ideal for the application, but I wonder if there is a magnetic detent feel when not powered that would make a disconnect clutch necessary when manually using an edge finder. Anyone have experience with this?

These are good information for what you are contemplating, even though he is working on a surface grinder. It also addresses the magnetic bumping and the cure:

Bob, thanks for the reply, but I have not been able to find the pertinent section in the videos. Could you point me to what I need? Thanks.

Maybe it was addressed in another of his videos. He definitely had problems with cogging when moving the axis manually with the added stepper motor on his surface grinder, and was able to fix it. Probably in a newer video of his.

i just installed a stepper on my X-axis this weekend. i am direct drive, no gearing, and i do not feel any cogging when i have the motor off.

Thanks. I love the simplicity of the direct drive, and I will try it first but I'll have a backup design with a clutch.

Sherline warns not to turn the stepper motors "too fast" when they are wired up, as it is possible to damage the driver electronics. They suggest disconnecting the wire connecting the stepper to the controller when needing to run by hand to avoid this.

Those vids are interesting.

Thanks lag, I was not aware of the possible damage I must have missed that in my research but it does make sense. Since the stepper will generate electricity when being turned by hand.

Back