Stevens 940A shotgun ejector

Kevinb71

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
IMG_20140120_132630973.jpgThe ejector on my barn gun , Stevens .410 940A broke the ejector due to a bit of rust. It broke off at the shank of the ejector. I got a new ejector(in fact two from different sources) and it is different than my original. The tab that goes up to hold/pull the shell is both thicker and longer than the original. The length should not be a problem. I will just mill it shorter and recut the lip that cradles the shell. The question i have is the new ejector is thicker. Maybe an improvement on later guns( they go all the way through E series and mine is an A series). Would i be best to thin my new ejector down to "stock dimensions or deepen the slot in the barrell where the ejector sits and therefore improve the strength of the ejector. Any thoughts from more experienced than I?
IMG_20140120_132612386_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140120_132612386_HDR.jpg IMG_20140120_132630973.jpg

You could mill the slot deeper as long as the head spacing, the groove that the rim of the shell sits in doesn't change. The deeper groove is like you mentioned an upgrade they used in newer models

I might look closely at deepening the slot to leave as much metal as possible to strengthen the spot the old one broke.
Measure the protrusion and deepen the slot to match. Deburr everything and check the chamber to see that the new extractor
is flush or less than that to avoid shell hangups.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll deepen the slot.

You say the old one broke because it was rusted. I personally don't see enough rust on the other parts for the ejector to be rusted that bad.

Would you have a pic of the broken ejector.

Not saying you're wrong, just would like to see to learn.

Thank you!

Maybe it's more a mistatement on my part. The ejector did not rust through. It was "stuck" in the slot by rust and snapped of when the gun was opened. I hadt o pry the piece out of the slot. I really think it was just weak from being so thin which is why I proposed to deepen the slot. My concern was only that making it deeper would expose it to more of the chanmber pressure and perhaps blow more fouling out through there. But it's only a $100 gun a the best repaired so if it's safe it's no big deal otherwise. This was more an exercise to see if i could come up with a way to machine the slot on the end of the long gun barrell. I am thinking i will try it with my toolpost grinder(dremel with a toolholder mount)! This pic gives a good view of thickness difference.
two ejectors.jpg

two ejectors.jpg

It looks as if you would be in the area of the brass on the shell casing, the only problem I see you can't undo it.

I replaced a number of these extractors in my gun shop over the years. At one time they came with instructions, a long time ago, They are fit to the slot width, then thined to correct thickness and the rim grove cut in. I used a modified chamber reamer to cut the rim.

Paul J

Back