Steven's Favorite Photo Montage

Tom,
Excellent work and pictures. I do have some questions on your tooling. What brand & model is your rotary table? In the first video it looks like you have a dividing head w/chuck and tailstock. What brand and model?
Chris

Just went through the montage and have to say I never get tired of looking at your work. I can't wait to see what you do for the barrel, front sight and fore end.

Tom,
Excellent work and pictures. I do have some questions on your tooling. What brand & model is your rotary table? In the first video it looks like you have a dividing head w/chuck and tailstock. What brand and model?
Chris

Thanks Chris.

That rotary table is a 9" Troyke. I also have a 12" Moore, but it's so heavy, I hardly every use it. The dividing head is an old 7" swing Ellis. I'm not sure if Ellis is still in business, but I do see them come up on eBay every now and then.

Tom

Just went through the montage and have to say I never get tired of looking at your work. I can't wait to see what you do for the barrel, front sight and fore end.

Thanks Rick.

The front sight is going to be pretty boring, it's just a blade, dovetailed into the front of the barrel. The barrel however will be an adventure. I've had to make a lot of special tooling to get ready for the gun drilling operation and have a lot more to make to do the rifling. The toughest part of the fore end will be fitting it to the tapered octagon shape of the barrel.

Tom

Thanks Rick, that is an interesting approach. I'll keep an eye on the thread to see how it all works out.

Tom

Very cool work Tom. Where would one get plans for such a rifle? I would probably like to start on something a little simpler (a lot simpler) could you suggest anything?

Thanks for the post.

Skip

Thanks Skip.

There are no plans available for this rifle (yet), the ones I'm using are of my own design. When the project is complete, I'll be making them available along with a write-up of the build thread.

Tom

They do have a book from the same publisher that produced home shop machinist and it has the start to finish for making the action for a single shot falling block. Also the late Frank DeHaas books have a lot of useful info and one of them has 4 different actions that are very easy to make wuith the directions he gives.
Tom B

- - - Updated - - -

Just realized That I forgot to add that the first book I mentioned is also available from both Brownells.com and Midwayusa.com

Back