Stick shift Buffalo drill

Marv in Minn

Registered
Registered
1622431980611.png

That is great. I have a 1896 Cincinnati universal mill, that uses a model A differential, and a chain drive setup. Watch that 2nd to 3rd power shift. Mike

Wow, that's-- interesting. Also an interesting looking engine there in back- Jag? Looks British

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add to it, for the sake of historical accuracy :~)
The original poster's drill, although labeled a Buffalo, is actually a Mechanics Machine Company #2 friction drive drill.
I believe the one I have (below) is mostly in the original configuration, with the cone and leather friction disc intact.
It's a pretty cool set up, giving continuous variable speed.

mmc.jpg

I even made a poor quality video of it running, a few years ago, if anyone is interested :

@wayback machine

Thanks for sharing that. It's a beautiful machine!

What band saw is that to the left of the drill operator (behind the ox-acetylene rig)?

1642628332113.png

Thanks,
Brian

Ahh - Good eye !
THAT is a Hutchinson 16" Speed Marvel band saw - From the very earliest days of Porter Cable Co.
I think it's one of the most elegant and graceful band saws ever designed, but that's just my personal opinion :~)

Sadly this one is badly damaged - The way I got it. Some damage is obvious, but the more important problems are hidden in the photo.
I intend to try and restore it, but it's going to take everything I've ever learned about this kind of stuff, and then some, to do it ....
Anyway, I included a couple catalog pages from back in the day, so you can see what it once was .

hutch.jpg
hutch pg1.jpg
hutch pg 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back