Stoning mill tables, etc.

The table on my old bridgeport is so beat up that I feel like an idiot whenever I stone it. But I have done it a a few times, just to ensure nothing was sticking up, and used the fine side of a Norton bench stone with very light pressure.

An arkansas stone would be ideal. You don't need a flat surface to stone the table, you just need a true edge. One of those round arkansas stones would probably be more reliable due to the line contact, as opposed to the surface contact of a square stone.

Alcap called it out . Blanchard " Burr Buster " . :encourage:

I stone mine routinely with a 1000 grit diamond 2x6 I got on E-Bay for just a few bucks. It works and fine enough
to deal with any minor imperfection.

I got responses to my emails, as follows:
• SharpeningSupplies.com just sent me links to their round stones and Arkansas stones. Said their products were tested for sharpening capabilities, no info on suitability for stoning tables.
• Sticks and Stones (abrasivestones.com) suggested a couple of items that appear in their catalog ... specifically the S&S Burr Breaker (4x4x1 ⅝ or 4x6x1 ⅝) or the Burr Busters (ferrous type and non-ferrous type). They quoted prices, but said they normally sold through distributors/industrial suppliers, where could probably do a bit better on price. The link to their catalog is the same as what @Alcap supplied, above. The stones in question are on page 18.
• Just for fun, I went to "old reliable" - McMaster-Carr. Links don't work for their website, but here are two screenshots. Both were among the choices that came up when I searched for "burr buster stones." Note that Arkansas stones are called "Novaculite."
Right now, I'm thinking that a 4"x2" fine grit (600 or 800) Novaculite/Arkansas stone would be a handy size to use, not too expensive. And if needed, I can probably dress it with one of the 2"x8" diamond stones I have on hand (and have NOT used on the mill table - thanks again to @Moderatemixed for the caution). Yes, the video that @ruralearl posted says that nothing is as good as a surface grinder for true precision. But I'm not after a mirror finish, just the ability to deburr the mill table when needed.

Thanks agin to all who responded!

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.35.05 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.36.30 PM.jpg

PFG stones do appear to be the "hot setup," but I don't really want to spend that much.
Being a relative novice I had never heard of precision ground stones. yes, it's the hot new Youtube experience. The price of the stones is the same.

If you ever get a chance to rub two PGS together and feel them bite then release-skate together you will see what all the hub bub is about.
When you stone a part or a mill table and see the shiny spots that use to be raised burrs then feel the stone skate on the surface you can then appreciate their true benefits.

I am fortunate to have a surface grinder with a diamond wheel. I have ground several PGS of various sizes and use them all the time.
Honestly, I don't want to scratch or grind down my part or machine tool surface.

I can certainly appreciate the professionals that have been using the hard Arkansas stones for decades and have served them well.

Just another unqualified opinion.
I bow to those with more experience.

One more thing that comes to mind. I wouldn't want to take a Norton stone to my ways on the lathe. Run a PGS over the ways and you'll have a few shiny spots with no scratching at all.
Ok, I'm done.

Last night, I was fettling a particularly banged-up plane (an old Record model intended for students that was, judging by the damage, actually used by some) and grabbed a ruby hone I had in the drawer of sharpening stuff.

It knocked the high spots down after about a dozen light strokes, with no visible scratching or wear to the rest of the stone (side note: when using oil, the dirty oil pools in all the nicks and pores, really highlighting how smooth the surface isn't).

Gonna pick up a couple more of these for stoning the tables. They work like a hard arkansas at about a third the cost. They sell 'em single or in sets.

Back