Storage Ideas

Good point eeler1. Truth is I seem to be always transitioning things between the Machine Shop (garage) & the Woodworking Shop (storage shed). It's either more material in the house to be 'staged' to one or the other, or it's tools I haven't bought duplicates of. So, the toolbox & the corner of the kitchen counter get cleaned off regularly. I've had bosses & indeed my wife are infamous for cluttering horizontal surfaces. It is my effort to correct my own guilt for doing the same thing that this thread is about!

But it takes planning because once all the horizontal surfaces are cluttered: Where can you set up a place to sort the clutter? It's topics like this that tend to take years to realize any significant improvement. It's inevitable that new projects creep in & old projects languish.

I don't wish back trouble on anyone. Yet, it has been my own form of physical therapy to organize. I had to do it in steps. It began with organizing bolts. Suddenly, there are boxes in the floor. Well that won't do as the paths are getting too narrow. It's all part of strengthening my back & getting back to making chips!

Looks like a well used shop to me. I hate to see a shop that looks as if you could hold a dinner party in it, nothing out of place & a place for everything.

Never fear Mr FIXIT. I do have hopes of organizing - hence this thread & the organizer I made. But, the reality is this is just to make working on real metal cutting projects that much easier. I would like to at least be able to sweep portions of the floor LOL.

By organizing your shop, you made a real time saver that can be used for making things rather than looking for things! Nice job!

.. They are sneaky, because they are convenient for setting stuff on, temporarily, but then attract other stuff so that when you need something out of the top you have a bunch of stuff to move. And then you have to find other horizontal surfaces to set that stuff on...
I've often wondered why they would make the top tool box narrower than the bottom cabinet? That little ledge left there is always collecting stuff & I can't get the drawers open!
And, I like your new storage rack!

Back