Storage Under A Bench Lathe On Legs

BarnyardEngineering

Registered
Registered
Is there some safety or practical issue with using the space under my Logan 815 lathe for storage?

Obviously I wouldn't put anything sensitive to chips or oil under there, but it seems like too good of a space to waste.

Last weekend I found a 4-drawer tool cart at Harbor Freight as a 60% off open box special. I cut the legs down so the overall height of the cart ended up at 28", and it tucks perfectly underneath the lathe like it was meant to fit there.

This is the box under my Logan 820 it was a yard sale find. The only down side is the casters are currently non-locking. The front ones should be locking since when I push the drawers in it sometimes rolls back.

logan820_a1.JPG

That's about how mine looks, though it's in a dark corner and there are lots of chips around.

I was wondering because most pictures I see of bench lathes like ours have nothing under them.

I have about the same, but I also have an upside down crate I store my extra chucks on. I keep them covered to keep any chips off of them.

These are the storage I put in place of that useless piece of sheet metal that come with it.
Works well and lots of room.
Jim

image.jpg image.jpg

I store lots of stuff under my lathe; shop vac, scrap bin, tool box full of nut drivers, and some other stuff. No reason a rollaround can't be under there.

Interesting. The photos look fine on my screen.

I have a lathe table made on top of two laboratory bench cabinets each with 4 drawers. Works great, you just have to remember to keep the drawers closed while the swarf is flying. After a few lapses in memory, and having to clean out a drawer or two, you learn. KEEP CLOSED while running. And yes, the photos are upside dow in the northern hemisphere, or perhaps its just the altitude.

Chuck at the grumpy old guy

Back