Storebro 15 x 36 Lathe (I think)

Moving day. The seller called just after 11:00. Took an hour twenty to load up and drop the lathe in my garage.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7361.jpg

The journey begins. My side driveway is a type of gravel that breaks through with no warning, so I'm using a couple of sheets of plywood to build a road.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7362.jpg

Halfway there.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7363.jpg

The 2x4 across the dolly allows it to pivot over any small obstacles.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7364.jpg

Around the last corner.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7365.jpg

Waiting at the door.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7366.jpg

Not much room to slide through. Big Victoria mill on the other side.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7367.jpg

The lathe is in place at 5:00 sharp.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7368.jpg
attachment.php?thumbnail=7369.jpg

Just have to run the power and she'll be running.

attachment.php?thumbnail=7361.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7362.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7363.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7364.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7365.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7366.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7367.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7368.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7369.jpg

Very nice job on moving your lathe into the shop. You'd have made a great Egyptian engineer... ;)

You must be quite satisfied to have it at home and in place.

Cheers... :)

Brian

Cool lathe! Nice pics of move- a skill I appreciate.

What the heck is that crazy mic with two heads?

Bernie

Bernie, the consensus is that the two header is a Go/No-go micrometer. You would set your max and min tolerances and lock the settings. When the part can pass through the wide setting, but stops at the narrow one, you're done.

I got the wiring done after work today. Recorded the RPM at the six possible speeds - 55 to 505 RPM. (Actually, I just went down and checked. There are two pulley speeds from the motor to the gear box. I'll have six more speeds to map tomorrow.)

I ran through all the QCGB settings to try to figure it all out. Suddenly, the output shafts stopped moving. The gear was still turning, but the shaft to the gearbox wasn't. I took off the 127-tooth gear. The woodruff key was missing. Just the tension of the nut was holding it on the shaft. Looks like I need a 4mm key. Hope I can find one on a weekend. If not, I'll try to make one.

A couple of weeks ago, I made a replacement handle for the back gears, with the intention of prettying it up when I got the chance. I used the ball turner on the Hercus lathe to turn the ball on the end, then transferred to the big lathe to turn the taper. I set the compound to 2[SUP]o[/SUP] and used the new tangential toolholder to cut most of the taper.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7489.jpg

The finished taper.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7490.jpg

Before.
PC081110a.jpg

Basic replacement.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7491.jpg

After.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7492.jpg

PC081110a.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7489.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7490.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7491.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7492.jpg

I sent Tony Griffiths an email last night with a write-up and a few pictures. This morning, he already had it added to his site.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/ornmaskiner/page2.html

I burned over 40 photos to a disk this morning to mail to him. I may not get any additional information about this lathe, but at least I can add to what's available.

In the info he has on the 185-GK, it shows a massive QCTP, which would appear to fit on the same style of compound. I may have to make one of those.

Nice lathe! Any luck translating the Swedish?

Funny you should ask, Xalky. I was researching metric conversions this afternoon, hoping to find a way to reverse the process using gears I have. While I was studying the charts on the QCGB, it occurred to me that the lower chart actually referred to standard threads. The headings that mention the 40- and 45-tooth gears have the same wording as the ones in the top chart (that covers metric threads) for the first and last gears.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7514.jpg

After I changed the 80-tooth to 40 and the 127 to 45, every test I ran produced the thread shown on the chart.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7515.jpg

It can cut 32 standard threads, from 3 to 44 tpi, some with half-values, like 9 1/2 tpi.

attachment.php?thumbnail=7514.jpg

attachment.php?thumbnail=7515.jpg

A bit of an update. I emailed Storebro on the weekend, to see if they could give me any new info on my lathe. I heard back this morning. I had given them the link to Tony Griffith's site. His reply:

Hi Mike,

Some very nice pictures you have there. The model is type S and your one is from 1943. Seems to be the 180 version with intermediate raising block under the topslide. Oilers are not original nor the electric starter and lid on left foot lacks the ORN emblem. Otherwise it is the one. Found one leaflet from 1940 but only in Swedish.

Kind regards
Hans Åhsgren
Storebro Industrier AB
Sweden.

He sent three pdf files of the 1940 brochure, all in Swedish. Here is the front page. It has a few differences from mine.

pdf.gif Orn lathe model S 20140825073931.pdf (Size: 2.37 MB / Downloads: 0)

In a second email today, Hans pointed out the reason some lathes have a reversed layout on the carriage apron. when the lathe has a removable section in the bed below the spindle, the carriage handwheel is on the right. Makes sense when you think about it.

pdf.gif

I found this old thread searching for information this lathe.
The Lathe is an Örn model 2-S B and was this one, with the wood table is a special design used by the swedish armed forces during the 40's, 50's and 60's.
It was placed on a trailer called "Verkstadssläpkärra m/43", in english "Workshop trailer" together with a gasoline generator.

I think almost none of these where ever used, they where placed in the swedish war reserve stock to be used if the ordinary workshops where destroyed during a war.
But fortunately no war come and they where sold or scrapped

Pictures can be found here, sadly no pictures on the lathe itself but you can se a part of it on one of the pictures.

I got some information on the trailer itself and also some documents with information about included tools etc. But no information about maintenance. If anyone is interested i can scan it, its all in swedish

I am searching for information on how to adjust the spindle bearings on these lathe, if anyone knows, please share the information :)
My has severe vibrations and is almost impossible to use right now

Back