[How-To] Straightening a flagpole

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
So here in Chicago yesterday we had a powerful wind storm come through. After the storm I went out for some branch cleanup. To my amazement I found my flagpole leaning. This is a commercial type of flagpole. It’s a 25’ tapered pole 4” at the base and .188 wall tubing. I had sleeved it into the ground but can’t pull out of the sleeve at this point. I was thinking of making a clamp out of a 4x4 cutting a 4” hole in the center then split the 4x4 and throw som carriage bolts in it to make a clamp at the base of the pole. Then use a 2x4 as a lever and try pulling the pole out of the sleeve like they have for fence post.
My big question is how could I take the bend out of the flagpole. The bend is gradual and honestly very minor but as you can see in the picture is enough to have to fix it. Trying to think of a way to straighten. There is about 2’ in the ground which is where it bent right at ground level. Any suggestions on how to save this pole. Cost ALOT of money and would hate to have to buy a new one. Thanks for looking
2E8BFAED-8988-4D6C-A18E-E6FE6D9B035B.jpeg
4715D9BB-378C-4687-9306-D6B59694C584.jpeg

Make your 4x4 clamp. Rather than using it to pull the pole out of the ground, rotate it in a useful direction, attach a line from the top of the bend to a stake, tree, or other anchor, and use that to straighten it, using a winch, fence puller, turn buckle, whatever.
Are you positive it’s bent, and not just tilted?

That was my first thought also, are you sure the ground did not give and it is leaning and not actually bent?

Use your clamp that you were planing on to get a good grip so that you can get it to turn in the ground, this will make it clear if the pole bent or the ground moved, or both

If it is bent It will be easier to straighten it right where it is with some type of puller or pusher.

If both the ground moved and the pole bent you might be able to rotate it to a spot where it still looks straight.

Remember that aluminum has very poor fatigue life, it does not like to be bent back and forth. Once bent back to straight it will be weaker than it was before.

I thought it was the sleeve that was leaning over. The sleeve is 6” from the surface so I dug to the top of the sleeve. Putting a straight edge on the pole you can see it has a bend to it. very slight I think it’s both the sleeve moved and the pole is bent. There is 3 bags of concrete around the sleeve so I have some digging to do. I want to take the pole out of the sleeve so I can see if the sleeve is leaning by putting a level on it. The pole is tapered so putting a level on it won’t work. My plan was to pull the pole see what it looks like, check the sleeve for plumb. Depending on those results I might just dig out the one side of the concrete make the pole look plumb and add concrete to the side that I tilted. What a pain!

I have found that the best way to unbend something is to apply a force opposite to the one that caused the bend. If you can attach a line to the top of the pole, you can pull in he opposite direction to the bend. I can't imagine that it will take all that much given the length of the lever. If the pole wants to rotate, use your 4x4 clamp and have someone hold the pole in position. You can do the same if you have the pole removed from its socket bu t you will have to work out some way to fix the butt end.

As far as plumbing the pole take your level readings from opposite sides and average the reading.

Like I said above, if the sleeve in the ground is tilted and the bole is bent, if you can get a good grip on the bottom of the pole and turn it 180° in the sleeve the bend and the tilt may just cancel out and be straight enough.

With it leaning away from the house it will be tricky to be able to try to pull it back straight. You would have to attach to the top of the pole and run the line over the house and pull from the back yard. Once you manage to pull the pole out of the sleeve, you may never get it back in.

Try penetrating oil on the sleeve to pole joint, maybe it is corrosion that has it stuck in there.

Not sure of flag "etiquette" but once the pole is out could some of the pole be cut off then re-install the pole vertically? Also if the pipe is off vertical the pole may be rotated back to vertical. Obviously the flag raising hardware would change orientation unless it can be adjusted.
Good luck
Ray.

Last edited:
The cause, obviously:
source.gif

And the solution:
images

Heard about the storm, we had one like that a few summers back in northern MI. Don’t have any great ideas on straightening though. Will your homeowners ins pay for it?

john

I don't have any suggestions for straightening your pole, but this might help you get it out of the ground ... an old fashioned ratchet jack. I don't remember where I found/bought this one, but I've had it for years and used it frequently to get those T-shaped steel fence posts out of the ground. Good luck!
kHPIM0117.jpg

Back