[How-To] Straightening a flagpole

Great problem solving. Should have added your Sons handprint, makes looking at it 20 years from now more interesting.

Next time you need concrete in a hole just pour it in there. No need for mixing unless you live in the desert, it will draw all the water it needs from the surrounding soil.

John

Next time you need concrete in a hole just pour it in there. No need for mixing unless you live in the desert, it will draw all the water it needs from the surrounding soil.

John
I have heard that, and even seen some concrete bags that claim they are made for doing posts that way. After many years of doing concrete work off and on, I find it a bit hard to completely trust. Have you run across any study, or anything comparing the two methods? I have a fenc project coming up, debating on which way to go.

I have heard that, and even seen some concrete bags that claim they are made for doing posts that way. After many years of doing concrete work off and on, I find it a bit hard to completely trust. Have you run across any study, or anything comparing the two methods? I have a fenc project coming up, debating on which way to go.

Sorry, I don't have any empirical evidence or peer reviewed studies to refer you to. But, concrete is pretty cheap, you could always dig a hole, pour some in and see what happens. Colorado might just be a little to dry though, how is your soil? Fence posts hold pretty well with just gravel around them in many cases. Even if you had to pour water on top of it you're looking at a lot less work than mixing by hand, if you decide it needs to be mixed renting a mixer would definitely be on top of my list.

Easy enough to find out though....

John

I tried the "No Mix Concrete" for fence posts.
Yes it did harden, but 10 years later it had all turned back into dust never to harden again. The whole fence had to be removed redone and all the semi hardened concrete removed from the ground. Newer stuff may be better, But it will take another 10 years to know if it holds up any better.

Years ago I picked up three bags of concrete at clearance price on impulse. Mixed it up to make an outside step and barely got it into the form when it started to harden up. Afterward I read the faded bag " for setting post holes; pour dry cement around post, then add water. Turns out that step has held up great. I'll take that as a win.

I have used dry mixed mortar as a grout for our patio. Using the more common sand washes out from down spout runoff. After brushing it in the joints, I gently water it down. It has enough integrity not to wash out from rain but lacks the strength of a true mortar joint in the event I will need to remove a block at some point.

Dry mixed mortar or concrete will perform well as a bulk block but they lack the strength of properly mixed concrete.

Back