[How do I?] Strip coating off aircraft cable

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Title says it all. Building a zip line for the boy and of course I have coated cable and uncoated is desired. Have about 125' to do. Was thinking of making a V with a razor blade positioned in the center of the V sticking out the thickness of the coating. Probably make as a hand tool and just run it down the length then pull back the coating? Sounds to easy and I have never done. Thinking it might be melted in the cable? Any thought would be appreciated thanks.

I had a friend that was a scrapper who would use a knife edge tip on his electric soldiering iron to do what you have planned. I never asked him directly which worked the best however he had many different types of wire strippers designed for this purpose including a few like what you are thinking of doing but whenever i was out at his place he ALWAYS grabbed that soldier iron to do the job so thats gotta say something considering he would do thousands of feet of heavy cable a year!

This has been a popular topic in years past and there were a few threads on wire strippers. I found at least three using the search function (yes believe it or not, it does sometimes work!) but am having difficulties pasting the multiple links. So, here's a screen shot if you want to track them down by either topic or member search.

-frank

image.png

Is the cable rated for the load?

At 125 ft the loads when in the middle may be quite high at the ends.

Has this been properly engineered?

A "red stamped drawing" with certified correct materials is a must here.

Using any materials not specified by the engineer can lead to disaster and financial ruin if someone gets hurt.

Modifying a cable does not meet the need, the coating is to protect the cable, exposure to weather will cause it to fail overt time, it will degrade at some rate so fine today but not so much in a month or more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Is the cable rated for the load?

At 125 ft the loads when in the middle may be quite high at the ends.

Has this been properly engineered?

A "red stamped drawing" with certified correct materials is a must here.

Using any materials not specified by the engineer can lead to disaster and financial ruin if someone gets hurt.

Modifying a cable does not meet the need, the coating is to protect the cable, exposure to weather will cause it to fail overt time, it will degrade at some rate so fine today but not so much in a month or more.

I appreciate the thought and response. This zip line is for my son which I love and care for more than myself. I have thought through all the possible hazards and have way over engineered every part of it.
Take off platform is part of a fort I had built for him using one side that has no accessories on it. Deck is 6’ off ground supported by 4-4x4 concreted in the ground won’t budge. Landing anchor is a 70 yr old tree which is just to hold cable. Rider will land on ground level with a rebound spring on cable so they cannot come close to tree. Overall cable will high enough so they don’t touch the ground NOT over a canyon. Handle carriage has been built so nothing can be near the pulleys. Two holes at the ends just large enough for the 3/8” cable. The cable is rated in the thousands of pounds I don’t think my 50pd boy will come close to maxing it out. I have a 500’ spool of it and I don’t feel like buying more sorry. I’ll take my chances and appreciate the concern thanks

Only 6 ft high and private use fine.

Others can see these posts a nd copy ideas and not knowing better may assume good for canyon.

The tension will be very high to keep the cable tight enough to maintain the line straightness for lack of better term.

Adding 50 pounds in the middle will greatly increase the end loading.

It will be substantial amount.

Back