Stripped one of the studs on my lathe

better-lathe-than-never

Registered
Registered
I have a 9'' Jet lathe (JET BD920N) - recently I noticed a little bit of movement on my machine's head assembly - I was caught off guard by that so I immediately took the 4 face screws to investigate, and inside I saw two studs - one of them appears to be stripped. Can't tighten it down, the threads are stripped. I chased it down with a die and put extra washers to grab the good part of thread, but I don't trust it. Will I have to completely disassemble the head stock to replace that stud?

Attachments

• Stripped stud.jpg
    Stripped stud.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 93
  • stud schematic.png
    stud schematic.png
    358 KB · Views: 91
That's a pretty tight spot so getting a stud extractor might not be possible. Before you pull the headstock see if you can get in there with some vise-grips and remove it.

John

I think your repair will hold it. Trying to replace the stud would require much more work and time
If it seems snug then it's good to go...

Agreed with others...if it's not broke, don't fix it. That being said, that would still bug the crap out of me and force to to fix it. The offset style stud remover should fit fine in that confined space.
Stud remover

From the first photo, it appears that you have some threads remaining above the nut. Id so, I would add another washer ir two to engage more of the good threads. The nut may have lost some material when the threads wer stripped. A new nut may be wise.

Back