Stuck in fine feed, RF-30

Gleen456

Registered
Registered
This was not the case when I bought the machine from the PO a week ago (just got it into the shop, long story short).

The PO showed me how it engages and disengages (plastic knob to the right of the drill press style quill handles), so it did work rather recently. My hunch is that it is operator error more than anything else.

What am I missing? No matter how much I turn the said plastic knob counterclockwise; the fine feed does not fully disengage. However, tightening the knob still allows to fully engage.

Thoughts?

You have to give it a little Arthur Fonzarelli. Mine sticks, I've taken the mechanism apart (easy) for a good clean and grease, and it still sticks. You need to give the sleeve that encircles the coarse feed shaft a little pull to the outside after backing out the plastic knob a few turns to disengage the mechanism. I have a feeling all the Rong Fus do that.

You might also have to take some tension off the quill by moving the feed handle a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine doesn't stick. It only takes a slight snugging of the engagement knob and the fine downfeed works. Loosen it just a little and the fine feed disengages. I suspect the problem you're having is due to dried grease in the worm or the silver sleeve behind the handles that engages the worm of the fine feed.

Remove it all and clean it well, then re-grease and it should work. There just isn't anything else in there to hang up.

Thanks for the replies.

With some more aggressive tactics I was able to shift it back into coarse feed.

I'll take it apart, clean, grease, put it back together, and report back.

I think there is a spring on it as well that pushes it out. There's one listed in the Grizzly parts manual. I had two mills to pick from. One had the spring, the one I bought did not. I have to pull my sleeve out to disengage the feed.

Back